Chapter 18: Bad News

MENTIONS OF OVERDOSE

Y/n POV
It was late at night and I was sitting in the kitchen reading my book while waiting for the kettle to brew. Suddenly the kettle started whistling, making me jump. I placed my book down on the counter and finished making my tea. I picked the mug up and placed it on the island. I carried on reading, from time to time taking sips out of my mug. My phone started ringing, I picked my phone up and looked at the caller id but it was a number I didn't recognise. I answered it.

"Hello?" I said down the phone. "Hey. It's Kierney." "Oh hey. Why didn't your name pop up on my phone when you called." I asked confused and placing my mug in the dishwasher. "I'm using the hospital phone." She kind of mumbled down the phone. "Why are you in hospital?" I asked, my stomach turned and I had a bad feeling about this. "I didn't feel right in the head and took an overdose last night. I'm ok though. I think." She mumbled the last bit but I still heard her. "I have to go now but I'll call you back later. Bye." I didn't know what to say so I just said bye.

The phone hung up and I was shocked. But I couldn't stop thinking about what she said, 'I think'. What did she mean by that, it was too late for me to visit her they wouldn't let me see her. I needed to take my mind off of it. My first thought was to carry on reading, but when that didn't work my mind went to drinking. I grabbed my jacket and keys and left my flat. Obviously I didn't have a car so I walked to the nearest pub which was about a five minute walk.

Once I reached the small pub I walked up to the bar and sat down at a stall. "Large gin and tonic please." I said to the middle aged man behind the counter. He nodded and made my drink, I took a sip from it but passed it back. "More gin less tonic please." I said to him, he hesitatedly nodded, and poured some of the liquid out into the sink filling it up with more gin. I said thanks and started drinking it.

I was about ten shots and two gin and tonics down, and I was hammered. I was sitting with this man laughing. "Right well I better go." I hiccuped. "No. Ok tke this. Shh." He laughed quickly taking a bottle of vodka from the bar when the barman wasn't looking. I giggled and took from him standing up. I stumbled out of the bar drinking the burning liquid from the white bottle. Once I reached the block of flats, I walked, well stumbled, through the lobby and too the elevator.

I got to my apartment but dropped my keys on the floor while getting them out of my pocket. I bent down to pick them up but as I did I sat down leaning against the door. And I just bursted out into tears. I had tears dripping down my face falling onto the floor, as I was taking swigs of alcohol. I heard the door next door open and a very worried Brad looked down at me. "Y/n? What are you doing?" He asked me walking towards me and sitting down next to me.

I didn't say anything just laid my head into his chest and let the tears carry on falling out of my eyes. Brad took the bottle of disgusting liquid out of my hands and placed it next to us on the floor. "Hey what's happened." He said wiping my tears away. "I-it's K-Kierney." I said in between sobs. "Come on let's get you inside." Brad said picking my keys up and helping me off the floor. He helped me into his flat and went to his room. He sat me down on the bed and passed me one of his hoodies.

I started to pull my t-shirt off, and Brad quickly turned around. "Done." I said and he turned back around. I laid down onto the bed and he laid the duvet over me kissing my forehead. "I'll be right back." He said walking out of his room, soon coming back with painkillers and a glass of water. "For the morning." He said placing them down on the bed side table. I nodded. "Come here." I said patting the space on the bed next to me. Brad walked over to that side of the bed and climbed in.

"What happened?" He asked stroking the hair out of my eyes. I gluped trying not to cry again. "Kierney took an overdose last night. But I'm worried because before she hung up the phone she said. 'I'm ok though. I think.'" I said Brad held my hand. "She'll be ok don't worry." He said as he kissed my head.

Brad soon fell asleep but I was still awake just staring at the ceiling. "Hey, why aren't you asleep?" I heard a groggy voice next to me say. I looked down. "I can't sleep." I said sadly smiling. "Hold on wait here." He said climbing out of the bed and walking out of the room, I looked at him confused when I heard the front door open and close.

He soon came back with my book in his hands. "Did you break into my flat?" I asked as he sat the bedroom door and climbed back into the bed. "No your keys were out in the hall." He laughed. "Come here." He said opening his arms, I laid down in his arms and he started reading to me. I soon fell asleep.