Ten

I wake up Sunday morning, and excitement hits me, kinda like when you're little and you wake up on December 25th, and for a split second it's normal, then you remember it's Christmas day. I reach for my phone and read the last message I got yesterday evening again.

"OK babe, I have to go shopping with mum in morning....urgh! But I will be to yours around lunch time if that's OK. See you then beautiful x"

I feel that feeling that is starting to become very familiar, even normal to me whenever Skye messages me, or speaks to me, or is even just in my vacinity. The increased heart rate, the tummy tightening,  the tingly sensation that not only exists in my most intimate parts but feels like it reaches my very soul. I can't help but smile, then I feel a little excited angst. Shit Skye is coming here, I jump out of bed and let out a little squeal of  elation as I run and turn my shower on. Taking my pyjamas off I throw them into my wash basket as I run around grabbing all the other bits of clothing I have left lying around the last day or so and chucking them in too.  I then get into the shower smiling as the water flows down over my head making my hair cling to my body. Letting out a little sigh as the hot water massages my skin, slowly spinning on the spot. I wash myself, taking my time to enjoy the feel of the water. Finally I get out and as I dry I tidy my bedroom, putting things back where they belong on my dressing table, clearing my floor of any rubbish, putting my clothes away that have been lying on my ottoman the past few weeks to be honest. And I even make my bed properly, not just throw the duvet over it like I normally do. Satisfied that my room looks in a decent state I open my closet, what am I going to wear? It is still warm so I decide on a white denim skirt, and a black flower pattern vest mum got me for my birthday that I still haven't worn with my black strappy sandals. I sit and blow dry and straighten my hair and put on my eye liner. I decide I am going to add a little lip gloss, I don't want to over do the make up. I never wear any anymore, all part of the sinking into to background thing, plus I have ended up looking like kung fu panda once too many times when I have my meltdowns the last couple years.

I am finally dressed and happy as I am going to be with how I look, I look at the clock, 10:30. Couple of hours to go, I go to the cupboard under the stairs and get the hoover out as I go to go back upstairs, dad let's out a fake scream.
"Sally honey, come quick! There is a strange girl in our house" I roll my eyes knowing exactly what he is going on about, as my mum comes out of the living room.
"She looks like our Lucy, walks like our Lucy, but she seems to know where the vacuum cleaner lives!" He says as puts his hand to his mouth feigning fear. I try not to smile and act as if it is annoying me. As mum chuckles and says "leave her along you, she has a new friend coming over today"
As I go to walk up the stairs he says
"New friend? It's not a boy is it?"
I snigger at his change of tone
"No dad, it's just a new friend from school and she is female"
"Ah ok, I will leave my cricket bat in the shed then, and allow you to close the door" I laugh loud as I go back upstairs to hoover my room smirking as I  think to myself if only you knew dad.
A couple hours later I am sitting impatiently in the living room with mum, watching TV when the doorbell goes, my stomache jolts and my brain buzzes as I hear dad say "I've got it"
"Hello, you must be Skye, I'm Paul, come in she is just in the living room."
"Hi, thanks" I hear her say as I get up to go meet her she walks into the room, she looks amazing in a pair of denim shorts, a white t shirt and white trainers, her hair perfect as always I try to hide the effect she is having on me as I give her a huge smile.
"Hey you" I say as I tell her to come in.
"Hey babe" she beams at me. Then sees my mum sitting on the sofa and she gives her a massive smile too "hiya" she says and I hear a little shyness in her voice, a part of her I havent seen before, it's very cute.
"Hello Skye, how are you sweetheart? Its lovely to meet you" My mum says with her usual charm that makes everyone instantly love her.
"I'm good thanks, it's lovely to meet you too." She walks over to my mum and hands her a small bouquet I didn't even notice before.
"These are for you, to say thanks for having me over for lunch" the look on my mums face fills me with pure joy. And makes my heart melt as I look at Skye.
"Aww that is very sweet of you. Thank you sweetheart, they are beautiful, I am going to go put them in water straight away" she gets up and gives me a huge smile as she walks out the room.
"Babe! Thank you. That was such a nice thing, you have made her day. Also made me and dad look like total twats, we are never that considerate" I joke with her, she just laughs.