Chapter 51: I will always love you [EPILOGUE]

Nathaniel Underwood

I'm not gonna lie, I nearly abdicated being Beta of the pack.

After a glorious summer together, Daphne went to college in the fall. It was incredibly difficult to be without your mate near you. I mean, the pull is so strong it can be maddening. The first few nights apart were the worst. I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep. I couldn't function.

It took everything in me to not give everything up and follow Daphne to another city. Daniel helped a lot, as he was very understanding of my plight. He gave me time off to visit Daphne in college any time the pull became too strong to endure.

Not to mention he talked me off the ledge many times, arguing that I was born to be a Beta and to abdicate that would be a stain in my father's memory. Cause when all else fails, the memory of your dead parents always worked.

Fortunately, it wasn't always terrible. I got to spend my birthday with her even tough it fell on a week day cause Daniel gave me the day off. He is a very good boss. Or at least he is when the employee is his most beloved brother, if I can say so myself.

But Daphne also came to visit every other weekend. She didn't have a car, but she'd take the bus on a Friday night and back to college on the Sunday evening. It also worked for her to spend time with Felix, as we all lived at the same house.

The holidays were the best time. As she spent a few weeks at Rutherford Falls and we got to see each other everyday. I only had to share her on Christmas' Eve with her family, but by now Chief Ford gave up on trying to arrest me.

I don't mean to be crass, but it's a miracle of modern medicine that she didn't fall pregnant again last December.

Which bring us to today, the first day of spring break. The first day of the year that I get to have her for more than just the weekend. And still I would have to share her a little as her twin brother gets married this weekend. Oh yes, and so does my brother.

I was waiting for her bus to arrive at the station, anxiously like I did so many times. Honestly, it was the highlight of my day when I got to see her and we haven't seen each other for almost two weeks. I just needed to take her scent in to calm my wolf.

"Hi, handsome." - She greets me with a kiss and I help her with the bags as I put them in the trunk of my car.

"Hi, gorgeous. How was your trip?" - I asked her as I hug her tightly.

"It was fine. You know how it is. I was just anxious to see you." - She replied as we got in the car.

"Tell me about it. I nearly drove to pick you up myself but I had rogues to contend with." - I say with a heavy voice.

"Oh my God! Is Felix okay?" - She rushed to ask.

"He is, you know he doesn't leave the pack unaccompanied anymore. But he was in the garden when this happened. He's fantastic." - I put her at ease.

"Good to know. I'm triggered whenever I hear the word 'rogue', not gonna lie." - She said with a serious look.

"I understand, so is Dan. He literally bolted from the office as soon as he heard the word 'rogue' to check on Felix. I've never seen him in such a hurry apart from the day Felix..."

"Got it, Nate." - She interrupted me. - "And how are you? Did any female wolf offer to console your lonely heart?" - She snickered. I laughed out loud.

"No self respecting wolf would involve herself with a mated man. Now, the humans in town that's another story." - I snickered. She slapped my shoulders as I was driving.