Forever

Sitting at the kitchen table Becky is finally finished her essay and sent off the unit she had been working on with twenty minutes of the deadline to spare.

She heads into the garden to find Jack, he's doing keepy uppies and headers, but he's not practicing.
He's been distracting himself from how frustrated he was getting over Becky not having finished her uni work until the last minute AND they had to leave soon to get to Jack's cousin's wedding.

"I'm done!" She called from the decking.

"Bout fuckin' time, now get ready will ya!?"

"Yes, I'm about to! Can you just give me a hand because I don't know what box my dress is in? It'll be quicker if we both look?"

Jack booted the ball in annoyance. "Ya are fuckin' kiddin' me Becky!! I know ya've been workin' but as if ya haven't found ya fuckin' dress yet!" He was fuming.

Becky burst out laughing "of course I have you tit! I just like winding you up!"
He booted a second ball towards her as she ran back inside giggling.

-

They arrived at the venue in plenty of time.

Becky looked at the grand hotel "this is a bit nice"

"Ya a bit nice" Jack said, making her smile as he looked around for anyone he recognised.

They walked in, Becky noticed the bride's family watching them, clearly some of them were more excited to be in the presence of a famous footballer than at a relatives wedding.
Jack spotted his aunt, the groom's mother, first and led Becky over to his mum's sister who swept them both up in an excited hug.

"So pleased to see you both! Becky you look stunning, and you scrub alright too Jacky!" Becky was wearing a longline emerald green satin dress, very simple and elegant. Jack complimented her in a dark grey suit and matching emerald green silk tie, although Becky knew he'd be shoving the tie into her bag the second the nuptials were over and undoing his shirt collar.
"Your mom is through there Jack, and Jack not sure if you noticed, but they've put signs up saying they don't want pictures of them, or guests, on social media until they've seen their official photos, and a little reminder that no one should post any photos of anyone at all without consent - we thought that would give you privacy too as well as them...."

"Cheers Aunt Michelle, we jus' wanna enjoy the day an' catch up with everyone y'know"

"So Becky, how many of our lot will you be meeting for the first time pet?"

"I think I've mostly met your lot" Becky replied, Jacks mum had a big family, but they were close so she'd been to plenty of family events with Jack in the past year.

They caught up with Jack's parents and siblings and had time for a drink before the ceremony "did you get your uni work sent off in time?" Asked Kevin Jacks dad.

"Yes, just! Twenty minutes to spare!" Becky cringed.

"Nah bab ya've worked hard the last couple of weeks" Jack said kissing her cheek, "she's been doin' extra at the clinic so she's not had her normal study days" he explained to his dad.

"You've changed your tune! Honestly the way you nagged me this morning.......anyone would think you were my bloody lecturer!"

"Eh I believe that!" Kevin said, giving Jack a warning look "plus you've not long moved, how many boxes have you unpacked Jacky lad?"

"Oh leave it!" Jack moaned.

Kevin winked at Becky "as I thought son, as I thought"

The ceremony was beautiful. Jack and Becky held hands throughout and gave each other sideways glances and smiles.
They had spoke about marriage and babies and it was all definitely in their future, but they had just moved and wanted time to settle and enjoy their lives together, so had agreed they wouldn't do anything until after Becky's degree finished in just over a year.

They sat at a large table with Jack's family and a few older relatives.
Karen asked Becky about her new job "it's perfect Karen, it's a big clinic with a day surgery unit, it's only minor stuff really, so no ones there over night, literally just Monday to Friday lates or earlies, but the lates finish at 7 and one Saturday a month.....I love it, I'm getting loads of general practice experience plus the hours just work so much better for us" she beamed, she did love it and even better she had been able to help Liam get a job there too and he was working with the physios gaining experience in rehabilitation for patients with more serious injuries that had left the main hospital and gone home into community care provided by their clinic.

"You look so much more relaxed than when you were at the hospital" Karen observed.

"I am, and I felt bad about leaving, but like Jack and all you and my own parents said I'm no good to anyone feeling like I was starting to"

-

The reception went on into the night, Jack was relaxed, enjoying the fact he had three days off.
They were sat with Kiera and Kevan and their girlfriend and boyfriend and Hollie a group of cousins and their partners, Becky had noticed that the group had allowed Becky and Jack to sit into the corner and kind of surrounded them to assist Jack in being obscured from view. Jack had spent time after dinner allowing the bride who he barely knew to introduce him to her family and Jack had as graciously and generously as ever chatted, posed for photos and signed autographs, but now he just wanted to chill with his siblings and cousins, and keep Becky out of the spotlight, the media over him had largely relaxed and they made sure that they posed together at anything official for Jack and in return the press pretty much left them alone day to day, allowing Becky to get on with her work and degree in peace.

Becky was having a great time, laughing until her belly hurt over childhood tales and stories. It got so late that songs played by the DJ had started to slow in tempo, people were taking to the dance floor to drunkenly slow dance again as the night drew to a close.

Becky heard the song come on and laughed when Jack nudged her "you want to dance to this?" She laughed.

"Yeah c'mon" he held his hand out to her waiting for her accept, when she finally did stand and take his hand smiling at him, he led her to the dancefloor.

Suddenly in their own bubble again and not caring who was watching them instead of the bride and groom.

When you get to where you want to go
And you know the things you want to know

They moved together slowly, Becky's arms around Jacks shoulders and neck. His arms around her waist.

You're smiling.

Slowly they swayed their bodies together to the music, already knowing each others rythym by heart.

When you said what you want to say
And you know the way you want to play it

Becky nuzzled her face into Jacks chest, breathing in his smell, knowing this is where she always wanted to be, where she wanted to be forever.

You'll be so high you'll be flying.

Jack nuzzled his face into her hair, she felt him breathing her in.

I was her
She was me
We were one
We were free

He started softly singing along to her

And if there's somebody calling me on
She's the one

She felt her heart swell as she listened to him quietly serenade her.
He was hers and she was his.

If there's somebody calling me on
She's the one

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The End ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~