Football

Friday

Becky had gone to bed as soon as she got home last night. It was amazing what eight hours of sleep could do for you.

She happily made the tea for everyone during handover.
John hadn't had a great night, it looked likely he would need yet more surgery. Becky felt sad for him, especially as Des was expected to go home today.
Becky thought she might just ask Jack for that autograph for John, she'd save it for John for when it was finally his turn to go home.

She went into room 3, but it was empty "Jack?" She looked around, the bathroom door was shut. "Jack you in the bathroom"

"Yeah" came his muffled reply.

"You ok?"

"Yeah, ya can come in"

For the first time in her entire career she felt apprehensive about opening the door to a male patient.

She tentatively opened the door.
"Oh Jack"

He was sitting on the edge of the bath in his boxers, hair wet, holding his arm across his torso.

"You've hurt your collarbone haven't you?"

"I can't move me arm up now, an' I could before, I mean it hurt, but I could do it an' now I can't do it, it hurts too much......"

"Did you try to wash your hair?"

He nodded

"You could have asked someone for help"

"Sorry...."

"Don't be sorry to me! It was only a hairline fracture, you're the one that's put yourself in pain, how far can you lift your arm comfortably?"

He showed her.

"Come on let's get you dressed and I'll find you a sling, more to remind you to be careful more than anything else"

Becky helped him put a t-shirt on, sliding it over the arm on the painful side first then stretching it over his head before helping get the other arm through.

He grabbed his shorts and stepped into them.

"If you're alright then I'll go and get you a sling"

Just as she got to the door he yelped.
She turned to see him feebly holding the waistband of his shorts in one hand. The other hand limp, "nah nurse ya gonna hafta help me" he licked his lips, trying to hide his smirk.

He was playing her. She knew it, and she knew that he knew that she knew it.
But he also knew she wouldn't call him out on it, because he was injured and it is her job to help.

As quickly as she could and with as little contact as she could, she swiftly pulled his shorts up. His face barely hid his disappointment at the speed of the moment.

"Right I'll get that sling, and leave you with your breakfast" Becky inspected the tray on his table. "Your boiled eggs will be cold now" she noted as she closed the door behind her.

-

Becky stood next to the Dr as she examined Jack thoroughly.

"Right I'm generally happy -"

" - can I go home today then?" Jack interupted

"As I was about to say, I think we need to take another lot of bloods at the same time this afternoon, so by the time they come back it will be late, I think one more night for observation, make sure we are on top of the infection......if all ok tomorrow I'll be happy to discharge you"