Daybreak

Tuesday

As Becky walked into the staff room the early morning sun was streaming through the fan lights along the top of the corridor.

She listened to the patient updates. Poor John was still in.
She still had Jack Grealish in room 3.
They had reduced his level of sedation.
Becky made him her first port of call.

"Good morning Jack" Becky said breezily as she walked in. He was propped up and his eyes were open but he clearly wasn't with it.
"So I'm Becky and I'm sorry but you're stuck with me now until tonight, you're looking better than when I saw you Sunday though"

Becky chatted away, knowing full well he wouldn't be taking in anything she said. But she continued to chat and tell him what she was doing as she took his obs.
He followed her around the room with his eyes.
Becky noticed him licking his lips. No one had filled the water jug up.
"Would you like a sip of water?" She asked. "I'll go fill your jug up" she continued not waiting for any reply.

"Who was in there before me?" Becky asked Sue one of the seniors as she grabbed a clean jug and put the old one on the trolley.

"Not sure, why?" Sue looked up from her paperwork, already weary, it was too early for anything to start kicking off.

"Because whoever it is has done fuck all in there, bloody jug was empty......bag full, oxygen not checked, morphine low........ cannula has been knocked and not replaced!"

Sue sighed, that wasn't good enough. "I'll check, I've a feeling there was a lot of agency in last night because half the paperwork is missing......"

Becky was already on her way back to room 3.

"Just take a small sip" she held the cup to Jacks lips. "That's it, just a little"
He winced as he brought his head forward.
"That's it sit back now"

"T.....ta....." Came a hoarse reply

"Very welcome" Becky smiled warmly.

She busied herself doing what should have been done before she even arrived.

When she looked back to his face, he was still watching her.

"Do you think you'd like to try to eat something? I could get you a slice of toast?"

He shook his head weakly, wincing again at the movement.

"Ok, well you just rest again now, the Dr is on the ward so will be with you soon"

Becky walked around the bed and moved the call button closer to his hand. "If you need anything, just press this ok?"

He nodded weakly before closing his eyes.

-

On the main ward Becky was busy changing John's dressings. He was telling her about his grandkids coming in this afternoon, but Des kept interupting them.
"Is it true?"

"Is what true Des?"

"That Grealish is in this hospital?"

"I wouldn't know Des, and if he was you know full well I wouldn't be able to tell you"

"He wouldn't be in here would he? £200k a week? He'll be waited on hand and foot up at the private hospital!" John answered curtly.

"Hey, I take offence to that!" Becky cried "yous get waited on hand and foot in here don't you?"

"Ah no offence meant love!" John backtracked.

"I know!" Becky laughed. "Is that seriously what footballers earn?"