Heartbeat

10 months later.

Becky was sat in the staff room scrolling her phone.

She stopped at a photo of Jack celebrating a goal.

JPG10.9
Yes!!! Finally back for a full 90 and back on the scoresheet! ⚽❤️😄

Becky left a comment

Becks_Hayes95
You better be taking it easy!

The red dot of a DM popped up in the corner.

JPG10.9
I'm being careful, maybe you need to come and check my obs tho?

Becky laughed. They had been exchanging messages since Jack left hospital.
Depending on the time, and if either of them had been drinking the messages were at times a bit flirty.
Other times the messages were like things you'd send a lifelong friend.
It had started to feel like Becky had a new best friend that lived in her phone with the constant messages and photos they sent each other.

Jack sending a picture of a new kettle, proud to be a 'real grown up'.

Becky sending him photos of her cat being a dick.

Jack sending photos of him and John at the game John had gone to after he had finally left hospital.

Becky sending him photos of her new car, excited because it had a DAB radio.

Jack sending her pictures of the 'NHS swear box' they had put in the changing rooms.

Becky sending photos of crocs and Birkenstock rubber shoes asking if either were remotely sexy.

Jack sending regular updates of his chest as the wound healed.

Becky sending full length pictures of her ready to go on a rare night out.

Jack sending sweaty selfies of himself after gym or training sessions.

Becky sending sleepy selfies after 12 hour shifts.

After Jack had left the hospital he had a huge luxury hamper sent to the staff that kitted the staffroom out with tasty treats for months.

He had also donated ten iPads to the ward, to be used by patients as they wanted.

Liam burst into the staffroom.
"So your birthday, I've got me, Tim, Sue, Kirsty and Martina on board, along with the normal riffraff from downstairs"

Becky smiled, the riffraff downstairs was their ex A&E colleagues.

"Excellent, where are we going?"

"That babes is your surprise, but dress glam!"

Liam clocked her phone.
"Jack again?"

She gave him a sideways look "yeah"

"Has he asked you out again?"

"Nooo, but last time I think I made it clear enough that he won't ask again. He's not called me since then, just messages"

"But constant messages! Honestly you message more than me and Tim and we are in a relationship!"

"Liam, even if it was ok -"

" - which it would be, enough time has passed and there's obviously some kind of connection"

"We are too different! I'm an overworked, underpaid nurse and he's a fucking footballer.......Liam it's a different world. There's no place in his world for a nurse exhausted from twelve hour shifts"

"I don't think that's for you to decide Becks......he obviously wants you, honestly Becks you've no idea how much he likes you!"

"What and you do?? Liam, have you been talking to him?"