Goodbye

8pm

Liam said goodbye to Becky at the end of his shift. "Look if you change your mind about tomorrow night and want to pop in for one drink after work, or bin off overtime Sunday and have ten drinks, you know where I am yeah? And if not I'll see you Monday"

Becky nodded. They walked into room 3 together, they'd found two cans of diet pepsi and two packets of ready salted crisps. Liam placed them on the table "here you are boys, Jack I'm off now and I'm not in the weekend, so I hope you get home tomorrow and good luck with everything yeah?"

Jack smiled at him "yeah, cheers bud, ta for everythin' like" Becky watches as they did that awkward handshake thing that blokes do that turns into a bizzarre hug where they are still holding hands between them.

Becky checked her patients were both ok, they were chatting like old friends, the 30 year age making no difference to their ramblings and laughter. "Nah he's propa rascal him" Jack said when John commented on one of Jacks teammates.

"Right I'll leave you two to it"

"Becky, how many staff are in?" Jack asked her.

"Why do you want to know that?"

"Jus' wonderin' like"

"There's eight of us"

"Thank ya nurse" he fucking winked at her again.

8.45pm

Jack and John were not overly happy. But Becky didn't get why.
The ward was quiet so she found herself back in room 3 as the second half started. She was stood one side of Jack who was sprawled out on his bed while John sat in his wheelchair the other side.

"You're winning?" Becky looked at Jack.

"Yeah but we shouldn't have conceeded any goals"

"It's your lad foden again!" John interupted. Becky looked to the screen.

"Go on Philipaaaaa!" Jack roared at the screen, he absentmindedly gripped onto Becky's arm.

He scored.

"Get in my son!" Cried John, punching the air.

"Eeee-eeeee" Jack made a bizzare noise as his arm snaked around the back of Becky's waist, he twisted her to a one armed hug, leaving his face against her stomach. Becky tried not think about how his touch made her feel. She pulled back from him, relieved that the door buzzer on the main door was going off.

Becky walked into the corridor and laughed to herself as she spotted the dominoes delivery man at the door.
"Hi" she opened the door.

"I've got 10 pizzas for room 3?" The guy looked as perplexed as Becky felt.

"Of course they are" she took the stack of boxes and headed back to Jack.

"Literally starving are you?" She asked as she put the stack down, she could barely see what she was doing over the top.

"Yeah jus' a little snack for me an' John 'ere an' the rest for yous"

There was no point argueing, the pizzas were here, he'd already paid for them.

"Thanks Jack"

"Say a propa thank ya?" Jack pointed to his cheek.

"Ah least the lad deserves" chuckled John, already digging through the boxes.

Becky leant down and gave Jack a quick peck on his cheek, it was nothing, she had given little kisses to patients on the cheek before, Christ sake her and Liam kissed each other alllll the time. It was nothing.