Chapter Twenty-Three: Ally Or Enemy?

Start from the beginning

She walked to Leo and pushed the mug to his face. He instantly tore his gaze from the screen and looked at Elizabeth, a soft smile playing on his lips. The strong smell of coffee made him sigh. This is what he needed. He was already tired from a long shift at the hospital and now he had to study this case. He was going to assist in this major surgery tomorrow and he needed to know everything about it. "Thank you," He mumbled and took the mug from her hand.

Elizabeth smiled and placed her hand on his shoulder before she bend down and placed a kiss on his cheek. With her mug of coffee, she walked to the other side of the living room where she peaked out of the window, it was raining again. She heaved a sigh and turned to look at Leo again – who had his undivided attention on his laptop. She bit her lower lip – suppressing the smile. Leo had his reading glasses resting on the bridge of his nose. She thinks he looks incredibly sexy in those – he thinks otherwise.

Elizabeth traced her finger along the rim of her mug and slowly walked nearer to him, "You know, it is not easy being a doctor's girlfriend." She commented.

"Hmm? Why is that?" He asked – without taking his eyes off the screen.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, "Because he works too much," She playfully answered.

Leo chuckled and glanced at her before he sighed and nodded, "And gets paid so little," He added with a crooked eyebrow, making Elizabeth chuckle. He is correct. Leo gets paid way too little for all his hard work.

Elizabeth playfully pouted and walked behind him. She bend down and wrapped her arms around his neck from behind. "Aww, my poor little doctor." She jokingly cooed and pinched his cheek, to which he rolled his eyes and held her hands. "How about I make you feel better?" She asked suggestively and unwrapped her arms from around him and put them on his shoulder – squeezing his tensed shoulders.

Leo chuckled and lift his head to look at her standing right behind him, "How about I complete this and then let you make me feel better?" He raised his eyebrow.

Elizabeth squinted her eyes and removed her hands from his shoulder, "You are no fun, Dr. Leo. I am disappointed," She told him and jokingly ruffled his already messy hair. She was just joking – she knows how important tomorrow is for him, so she is not going to disturb him more. "Fine, studying hard, Dr. Leo – while I go and call dad. It has been a few days since I last talked to him," She told him and walked inside their room.

Leo stiffened. He turned around to watch Elizabeth disappear into their room. He knows what will happen now. She will call her father but he will not receive it. Why? Today is his third chemotherapy. He must be having it, or he already had it and now he must be recovering. Elizabeth will complain about her dad not answering. Owen will call her back later and lie about something – make something up to his daughter to conceal the truth and Elizabeth will believe him – why won't she? She doesn't have any reason not to.

And how does Leo know this? This has happened before. It was Owen's second chemotherapy and Elizabeth decided to call him just at the time. He didn't receive her call and later called her back, lying to her that he and Franklin were out and he forgot his phone at home. Elizabeth told this to Leo, while he sat beside her – drowning deep into guilt. This is nothing small that he is hiding from her. Leo doesn't know what is taking Owen so long to come clean to his children. But no matter if he tells her now or months later – Elizabeth will not be happy to find that Leo knew this all along and decided to stay silent all this time.

Maria and Silas packing to go back to their lives. Maria sighed as she folded her clothes and put them in the suitcase, while Silas was just shoving them into his. "So, we will have to go back to Chicago?" Maria asked Silas.