Chapter Twenty-One: An Ugly Truth

Start from the beginning

Charlie opened her mouth to speak when all of a sudden the door of the break room opened, revealing a very surprised William. He gaped and gasped before he quickly looked away from Marcus and Charlie, "Oh, I am so sorry – Mr. Harrison," He spoke quickly and stepped out – closing the door behind him. He completely forgot why he came to see them – he just turned around and sprint away.

Where Charlie gasped and quickly freed herself, Marcus heaved a tiresome sigh and slowly step away from his wife. He was so sick of the interruptions. Charlie was mortified and tried to call out a baffled William, "Will, no – wait." She tried but William was quick on his heels and ran away after apologizing to them. Charlie turned to look at Marcus, who didn't seem as bothered as her, "That was so embarrassing." She spoke – putting her hands on her cheeks.

Marcus chuckled and shrugged, "Not at all. He didn't catch us having sex," He argued. "I was just hugging my wife – I am allowed to do that," He pointed out to which Charlie rolled her eyes. Where she was annoyed by Marcus's carelessness for the day, she didn't mind a carefree Marcus – it was refreshing to see Marcus like this.

William quickly walked back to Marcus's office, where he was looking after Mr. Harrison's two kids while he and his wife went to get some coffee. He scoffed, "Right, coffee." He mumbled under his breath bitterly and wrinkled his nose as he recalled the scene he just witnessed in the break room.

William's face was red – he was not only a little flushed from witnessing Mr. Harrison's lips on Charlie's neck, but also frustrated because he knows no matter how much he wants it – he could be never at Marcus's place.

William entered into the office and closed the door behind him before he leaned against it, "This getting out of hand," He mumbled to himself and closed his eyes.

He could hear Kathie and Ella in the room, but at that moment he didn't care – he needed to calm himself down before his boss and his wife walks in. William opened his eyes and glanced at Kathie playing with her little sister.

William gulped, "For the love of God, Will. These are their children. She is his wife. Stop being so stupid and get over your baseless crush on someone's wife," He mumbled to himself.

In a completely different country, Owen sits on an armchair and took a deep breath. He could feel uneasiness – he didn't think he would be so nervous about it. He was fine before he landed in London, but as soon as they touched down, it came rushing to him why truly he is here. He rubbed his temples and thought about his children – he is happy that they are doing well in their lives – especially his daughter. A smile curled upon his lips when he thought about Leo. He is a fine man and he cares for his daughter. Owen feels better now that he knows that his kids are doing very well in their lives.

He smelt the sweetness of the tea before he looked at the door of his room to see Franklin carrying two cups of tea in his hands. He entered the room with them and chuckled, "I have no idea how to make a cup of tea, so even if it is not up to mark – just drink it." He told his friend and passed him the cup. Owen snickered and took the hot cup of tea from Franklin.

Frank blew his cheeks out and sat on the chair in front of Owen. The two of them were silent for a while. Owen was looking out of the window and Franklin had his eyes fixed on the cup of tea he held in his hand. Some heavy is on both of their minds. Franklin hasn't spoken about it since they arrive in London. It has been a couple of days, and they are both acting as if everything is alright, but tonight – this night feels heavy.

Owen was the one that broke the silence. He didn't avert his eyes off the window – watching it pour outside when he asked Franklin, "What did you tell Maria?" He asked lowly.

Franklin looked at his friend. Owen didn't have to elaborate – Frank knows what he is asking about, "I told him that you wanted me to see London. She didn't ask much. Don't worry – no one got suspicious," He shrugged and informed his friend, who wordlessly nodded his head.

Owen brought the cup to his lips and took a small sip of tea. He looked at Franklin and chuckled, "Too much milk," He commented, to which Franklin grinned, "Yes, I felt that – but that's the best I can do." He replied. "If you say, I can make another cup or maybe make you some decaf coffee?" Franklin offered. Owen shook his head, "No, this is fine." He replied.

Once again there was a few moments of silence. The two of them usually always have something to chat about – sports, politics, business – they always find a topic to chat about, but tonight, both of them were silent. Maybe they have too much on their minds. Owen glanced at Franklin to see him lost in thoughts with his eyebrows knitted. He knows that Frank has a lot on his mind that he wants to say to Owen, so – Owen put down the cup of tea and looked at his friend with a smile on his face, "Just say it, Frankie. I know you want to say it – so just say it." Owen said.

Franklin twisted his mouth and for a few moments just looked at his friend, before he heaved a sigh. "You should not keep this from them, Owen," Franklin spoke in all seriousness. "This isn't some small matter that you can keep from your children. They deserve to know. How will they feel when they will know that I knew before they did?" Franklin put out reasoning. Owen softly smiled and looked down at his intertwined fingers. Frank clicked his tongue at his friend's wordlessness, "Owen, you don't understand. They will know about it sooner or later. They should be here with you right now," He replied to reason again.

Owen exhaled and tiredly looked at his friend, "I did try, Frankie, but I couldn't tell them. Did you not see the troubles Silas is facing right now? I don't want to add up to their distress, okay? It is not like I am dying," Owen joked and tried to weakly chuckle, ut Frank didn't laugh with him – instead, he stared at his friend with misty eyes.

Owen chewed the inner skin of his lower lip, "Well, that's not entirely true." He mumbled to himself, "Let me rephrase that. It is not like I am dying tomorrow. I have time – a little – but I have some time and I will tell them. Don't worry, I will not die before saying goodbye to my family," Owen chuckled again, but this time a tear escaped his eye.

Franklin felt a lump in his throat as his eyes burned with tears as well, "You are not dying, Owen." He whispered.

Owen sniggered and rolled his eyes, "Oh, come on, Frankie. You and I both know that I am dying. I have cancer – it is spreading. My days are numbered, I have accepted that – you should too." He said to his friend, who quickly looked away from Owen as tears threatened to fall from his eyes.

Owen has been keeping a huge secret from his family. It has been a month since he has been diagnosed with cancer. He wanted to tell them, but then first Silas and Marcus's wedding came, and then the whole fiasco with Sean kept his boys worried enough – he didn't have the heart to break this news to them.

Unfortunately, it is already spreading and the reason why he is in London with Franklin is to get the treatment started – maybe this treatment will not make any difference, but he still has to try – he has to try for his family – for his children – for his grandchildren. He has to try – for himself because he wants to see his family grow. He wants to see their happiness – he wants to see his grandchildren grow. He wants to see his daughter marry. There is so much left to do – he doesn't want to leave just yet.

Franklin snuffled and wiped off the tears from under his eyes, "You should try to sleep early tonight. You have your first session of chemotherapy tomorrow morning," Owen spoke – his heart clenched in his chest as he said those words. Owen wordlessly nodded. Franklin get on his feet as well and patted on his friend's shoulder before walking out of the room, but before he could Owen called him out, "Frankie," Franklin stopped on his way out and turned around to look at his friend.

Owen gulped and looked Franklin in his eyes, "Leo will not tell Elizabeth about this, right?" He spoke softly.

Franklin sighed and softly shook his head, "I made him promise me that he will not. But like me, he believes that you need to tell your children soon." Franklin replied.

Owen smiled, "That's good, and I will." Owen mumbled and watched his friend walk out of his room.