| 36 |

| 36 |

| A N G E L I C A |

Darkness was the first thing I noticed when I had come to my senses. I was unaware if I was dead or just in a deep conscious sleep. My eyes refused to open, but I could see a small light coming closer just through my eyelids.

It felt like I could hear everything, something soft sounded just away from me, like a leaking tap. The dripping was rhythmic and continuous, every second.

1...drip...2...drip...

I was worried for a moment that I was under the dripping, my neck and upper body felt extremely damp to the point I just knew the hair at the back of my neck would start to get matted.

But with one deep breath through my nose, my nose stung as I caught the scent of a strong metallic smell, almost mixed with the clinical smell of a hospital. I knew then that it was blood that was soaking me.

I was confused, I didn't feel pain, nor could I remember what had happened to me. I wonder if I had been hit over the head and the cause of my lack of consciousness was a concussion; the blood from a head injury that I had ultimately chosen to ignore.

The light began to brighten now, and with that, my body was slowly beginning to react normally again. I tried desperately to open my eyes and see where I'd ended up, convincing myself I was about to see the big pearly gates.

A whimper left my mouth as both my hand and neck began to sting, my neck was causing more discomfort than anything else, and all I wanted to do was crawl back into the peaceful darkness that so desperately called my name.

"Angelica?" The light whispered to me, urging me to cross the path and take its hand as it tried to pull me into it.

"You're safe with me, baby." A different voice sounded, so feminine as it whispered behind me, making me subconsciously turn as my heart melted at the voice. It was the darkness calling to me once more.

"She's slipping back into a coma again!" More commotion from the light. It sounded scary, I didn't want to go there.

"Come home, my sweet girl." There it was again, a feminine voice so hauntingly familiar I could barely register where I'd heard it before.

A soft hand grabbed my own, with such urgency it made me panic more. My chest rose and fell faster as I tried to open my eyes to see who had grabbed me, but I was left blind to it all.

"Her heart rate is rising." A large hand grabbed mine from the lighter side, tangling their fingers with mine as it caressed my knuckles so gently I could melt. "Sir I'm going to have to ask you to leave the room." And just like that, the hand had gone.