The canvas burned bright as the paint sizzled and bubbled, blackening the terrible portrait until it was no longer distinguishable. Mother put out that fire too, but the damage was already done and the portrait of me holding the dove was gone forever.

   "Good riddance," I bit into a muffin. Mother snatched it from my hand and threw it somewhere into the depths of the garden. "That was uncalled for," I frowned.

   "That was uncalled for?" Mother seethed, a vein in her forehead bulging out of her skin. She seemed like she wanted to blast me with her wand. "You nearly scorched the garden! What has gotten into you? You do not behave this way!"

   "You portioned my food. You said you'd never do that again."

   "You've gained weight! And before your wedding too."

   "Oh, I have, have I?" I questioned with pseudo shock. "Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that I eat three full meals at the Dark Lord's estate, with dessert?"

   Mother gasped, "I've taught you better."

   "You've taught me to remain small in more ways than one," I said. "I hate to break it to you, Mother, but that is not how it's going to be anymore."

   Mother laughed, growing unhinged. She, maybe even more than the Dark Lord, did not like to be disobeyed. My retaliation was not something she would just roll over and take. No, she would fight back, but now that I was leaving this house and moving to another, it was a fight I was finally willing to engage in.

   "I'll say how it's going to be, Karina. You are my daughter, I will not allow you to disrespect me. You were raised to be obedient and you will be obedient," she glared at me.

   "You're right, I am your daughter. But thanks to you, and Grandfather, and Father, I am also the Dark Lord's fiance and future wife," I stood. "Do you know what that means, Mother? It means you are below me."

   Mother's eyes widened in anger. There was still a piece of me that felt a bit fearful of her wrath, but I suppressed it. She would find a way to get back at me before my departure, I was sure of that. However, enough was enough. I would not back down. "You're going to regret this," she said.

   "If you keep this up, I will give you something to regret too because in a few weeks you're going to have a very powerful enemy," I took a sugar cookie from the table and turned my back to Mother. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have children to visit."

~~~

   The first two orphanages were carried out in a very similar manner. Beth and I were greeted by a swarm of reporters who took pictures of me giving a large sum of money to the owners. We were then led inside - two Aurors accompanying us as security - where we met with the children and could gift them toys. They were overjoyed and watching them play was a truly heartwarming experience. The Dark Lord had done an incredible service by restoring and funding the orphanages to make sure they were not lacking in any resources. It was a much-needed service as the number of orphaned children had increased due to traitors being identified. Thanks to the Dark Lord being merciful, the children were now comfortable and well looked after as they waited for their time to study at Hogwarts.

   When Ruth and I arrived at the third orphanage, things took a turn. It was a large building, much larger than the others. The number of children here must have doubled the last two. It was beyond me how the people here managed to take care of so many children all at once.

   After donations were made and pictures were taken, we were led inside to meet the children.

   "Welcome," a tall, slender woman in an all-black, long sleeve dress bowed her head. She had paper-thin lips and charcoal eyes and hair which she kept up in a tight bun; her cheekbones so prominent they poked through her aged skin. "I'm Madame Eglentyne, headmistress here at his Dark Lord's Home for Orphaned Children. If you'd follow me, the children have planned a performance for you."