~Chapter 21~

I lay out all of my daggers on the ground and sit against a tree next to them. I close my eyes and just think. It's nice to have everyone away at last. No Shane, no Thomas, no Anthony, no Nicholas and no King Neil. 

Everything just moved too fast. One moment I am in the woods peacefully, the next I'm fighting a King, my parents are gone and old enemies become friends. 

Why did all of this happen so fast?

I sigh and stand to set up the targets. 

 I pick up five of the daggers and put one in my right and leave the others in my left. 

I hate most of the changes.

Why did my parents have to die?

I throw a dagger hitting the target's bullseye with anger.

Why did King Neil do this?

I throw another one imagining his head on the next target.

Why does King Neil torment everyone?

This time I imagine him on the ground as I release the dagger onto a lower placed target.

Why is King Neil so greedy?

My daggers are thrown faster each time and they go deeper into the target.

"I HATE THE CHANGE!" I shout as I throw the last dagger at the remaining target.

I let the tears flow and I back up against a tree. I slowly lower onto the ground and put my hands over my face. The tears keep running down my face as if a never ending waterfall is behind them. A sob escapes me and I try to be quiet.

No use.

I stop trying to contain my feelings.

Everyone has started seeing me as strong, but I'm not. I should be able to accept the fact that half of my family is gone. I should accept the fact that they're never coming back.

But I can't.

I wish my father was still here to comfort me and tell me everything will be okay, even though it won't.

I wish my mother was here to tell me to wipe my tears and act like a proper Princess, even though I can't.

I wish my family was still friends with King Neil and that he didn't steal anything at all, even though he did.

Why?

Just why?

"Alexia?" I look up and see Shane looking at the last target. He pulls out the dagger and the target breaks in half.  My mouth hangs open. I did that?
He comes to me and sits next to me. He turns my head towards him and he wipes the remains of my tears. "There's no point telling you everything okay but I am going to tell you that everything can become okay." He looks at the tree that has half a target dangling on its trunk. The other half is on the floor.
He puts the dagger on the floor.

"You are strong, not only physically but mentally and emotionally. Not everyone is able to keep their emotions in for that long but you were. Not everyone is able to do what you can do." I am surprised by his words, he doesn't pity me.

And I am grateful for that.

"You can do the unthinkable. How many princesses despise dresses, the palace and being a princess in total? How many princesses build their own way out of the palace and practise sword fighting in the woods? How many people, not just princesses, are able to beat princes and Kings? That's something special and you should treasure it. Yes, your parents may not be able to be here now but I am sure they are proud of you for being able to do what you can do. I am sure they weren't worried about you and Anthony when they were going, because they know you are both strong and able to do amazing things."

I blink several times as I stare at him.

I haven't known him for long but he talks so highly of me as if I knew him for most of my life.

I hug him and he freezes for a bit but then relaxes. "Thank you Shane. No one has told me things like that. Thank you for being a brilliant friend. Thank you for supporting me." I bury my face into his shoulder.

I am grateful for some changes.

And he is one of them.

(A.N): It is a really short chapter I know but it felt right to end it there.

That's the end of The Runaway Princess, the final chapter in this book.
Thanks for reading. 

All of you guys have made it better for me to write and have encouraged me to write more and more. My writing has improved a lot since the first time I signed up for Wattpad.
Just as Alexia is grateful for Shane, I am grateful for you guys.

Just kidding.

This is nowhere near the end of The Runaway Princess. There's still heaps to go in this book.
I wonder if I fooled anyone.
Nah, probably not.