7 | The Game is Afoot

Bắt đầu từ đầu

THE RABBIT HOLE.

Robin's face cleared. "Isn't that where Joe works?"

"Yes." Christina's features were sharp. "I called, but there's no answer. I suppose people there don't bother with phone calls. I don't know how they live. But I asked a few people from work, and apparently, this bar gets packed around nine. They don't think it opens before eight."

Robin arched an eyebrow. "You want us to go there at nine?"

"Not necessarily, we can be there at eight. I know it's risky, and probably stupid, but anything can be of use."

"So, you're suggesting we go to Darwin, at night when it's dark, to a bar, no less?"

"Yeah."

There was a beat of silence before Robin shrugged. "Alright, if you're willing to pay for a bodyguard."

"I don't need a bodyguard if I have you."

Robin offered a tight fuck-you smile, and Christina grinned.

The duo made their way to the first floor with Christina holding a plate full of store-bought Nestlé cookies that she intended to pretend she made herself, and Robin's resting bitch face she insisted was a way to warm up her loveable side

The duo made their way to the first floor with Christina holding a plate full of store-bought Nestlé cookies that she intended to pretend she made herself, and Robin's resting bitch face she insisted was a way to warm up her loveable side. 'The later I put on the smile, the more I can maintain it,' she had argued.

Once the elevator arrived, they stopped dead in their tracks at the sight of the man who emerged from Ms. Alby's apartment, the woman seeing him off with a grim smile on her face. Robin's eyes narrowed, slowly stepping outside the elevator as she studied him carefully. He looked so different from his usually neat self; his eyes looked bloodshot red, the dark circles under them prominent, mixed with hues of violet. His hair was messy, a little longer than usual. And he looked like he lost some weight.

Her top lip slightly curled up at the sight. Disgusting.

He noticed a brunette and a redhead in his peripheral vision and stopped, a combo he was all too familiar with as they had always been side by side whenever he came across them. His eyes skipped between them, the knob in his throat bobbing as he swallowed. Christina moved to stand closer to Robin.

"Christina," he said in a poor attempt at greeting.

"James." Christina nodded once. James's eyes skipped to meet Robin's.

"Robin." He nodded his head. Robin's features remained impassive, but the intensity in her eyes didn't fade. He squirmed, walking the few feet left to the exit door and choosing the stairs to leave.

"He looks like shit," Christina commented. "His dad and his girlfriend dying in the same year... must be rough," she said it with a voice void of sympathy.

They both wondered what he was doing at Ms. Alby's. He didn't even live here.

"Add him to your list of suspects," Robin dryly suggested.