ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟙

Tonight we all gather around to see Serena off and to wish her and her family our congratulations on her baby. I trail away from the party unnoticed as usual. The other girls and I aren't exactly friendly with each other because of my skin tone. Having darker skin is seen as dirty in the kingdom of Respiria.

I take the book I'm reading and head down to the garden, so I can get some peace and quiet. The guards greet me since I frequent this spot alot. Being a servant in the castle is a demanding job and the small moments when I'm able to sneak away and find some peace and quiet I take it and run.

I sit on the plush grass, uncaring if my dress get stained because of it. I stare up at the moon, a small smile playing on my lips as I take in the beautiful scenery. "Ciara!" A tiny voice squeals happily and my smile grows impossibly bigger at the pure happiness and innocence at her voice.

"There she is! I've been waiting for you princess." I greet her and she throws her tiny frame into my arms.

"I've missed you Ciara. It's been so boring without you." Princess Evelyn says and I hold off my smile.

"Princess, you saw me this morning." I remind her, running my fingers through her silky straight hair.

"I know, but you're my bestest friend and you're the only one who cares about me." She says and her sadness bleeds through at the end of her sentence.

"Now Evelyn, what did I say about talking like that?" I scold lightly.

"Not too." She looks away from me and I sigh, kneeling down to her level.

"Princess, I'm not angry but you know your brother cares about you. He just doesn't know how to show it. He loves you Eve and don't forget it." I tell her, placing a soft kiss on her forehead.

"You're right, Ciara. I'm so glad you're my friend." The 12-year old sighs out happily. I go back to sitting on the grass and pat the spot next to me.

"Sit with me and we'll start off where we left off of." I wave the yellow book in the air and she excitedly clap her hands and plop down next to me, snuggling into my side.

"I'm ready." She beams up at me and I chuckle at her enthusiasm.

"Well let's begin, princess." I tease gently opening up the book and reading to her out loud.

"The rain beats down harshly as I look into the eyes of the man I once loved. "Why did you do it, Sal?" I ask him, my heart breaking.

"Because I never loved you in the first place, Trina. I got what I wanted and now I don't need you any more." Sal tells me and he smiles, smiles as if this is funny.

"Why do you hate me so much, Salvador? What did I ever do to you?" I try and sound strong but my voice cracks at the end.

"I don't hate you Trina, but sometimes things just aren't meant to be." Sal shrugs and then walks away, taking my heart with him.

The End."

I finish the book and Evelyn cry's silently. I comfort her the best I can. "It's okay, Eve."

"I never want to fall in love. All it does is end up in tragedy." She wipes her tears away.

"That's not true Eve, Sal and Trina just weren't meant to be. Sometimes you have to go through heartbreaking things to find the one for you." I try to explain to the best of my ability, even though I am in fact unskilled in the way of love. All my wisdom on the topic comes from books.

"Evelyn! Get inside this castle now!" A deep, masculine voice rings from the door of the gardens.

"I'm coming, Nolan!" Evelyn scrambles to get up, looking around frantically. "Bye Ciara."

"Bye Princess." I whisper to her retreating figure.