About twenty minutes after Dustin came in, Connor came back. He looked mad, but he didn't have tears on his face. I took that as a sign of improvement. "Fuck," Was all he said as he walked over to the bed and sat down right next to me. I placed a hand on his shoulder for moral support, and he ran his hand through his hair.

Another kid came in after him, followed by Nicola. He looked a little younger than Connor, but they shared very similar features. I knew for sure that he was his little brother. "Brandon," He introduced with a nod of his head in my direction. Brandon and Nicola walked over and sat in front of the bed, right beside Dustin's chair.

"So my dad got in a fight with my principal," Connor said with anger. Every time he would mention his dad, Connor's anger would be rejuvenated. I was really interested in where Connor was going with what he said, so I nodded for him to continue. "My mom said that he started blaming the school for everything and the principal tried to explain to him why being gay wasn't a bad thing. So basically dad got mad at him for telling him how to raise his son. And now I am not allowed at that school anymore. The principal says he doesn't want people with controlling parents to be invading the 'peace' they have at my school."

Although what Connor said was making sense, I was confused by the randomness of the situation. First of all, what kind of dad goes out and blames his son's sexuality on the teachings of a school? I asked Connor that, and he just shrugged. "In health class, we had talks about sexual orientation and such. I would leave my projects out on the table and such for my parents to see. I thought that might help ease them into everything, you know? But I guess my dad thinks I am gay because of those projects." I scoffed. Some people are just so stupid. One does not simply turn gay; they just are.

"So now I have to transfer schools," Connor sighed. I wrapped my arm around his shoulders and gave him a sideways hug. As if Connor wasn't shaken up enough, now he was going to have to leave his group of friends and attend a place where absolutely no one would know his name. For the first time in like ever, I thought about Kian, Jc, Ricky, and Bethany. They usually didn't cross my mind, but hearing Connor talk about leaving them, they immediately pop into the question.

"What school are you going to attend, then?" Nicola asked. I was actually kind of curious to find out the answer. The only other public High School in our town was the one I attended, but that just seemed like too coincidental if he would be going there.

Connor told us the school—which happened to be mine—and I scoffed. "You are going to hate it there," I stated. I didn't want to seem like a bitch, but if I hated my school, Connor would too.

"Well yeah, it is a school. Of course I am going to hate it," Connor pointed out with sarcasm.

I laughed and added, "No, you don't understand. Everyone is super homophobic and crazy passionate about it. Trust me, I would know." I thought back to all of the times I was pinned to a locker, or mocked in class over my sexuality.

Brandon glanced at me with disbelief, and said, "And how would you know?"

I just looked at him challengingly. I raised one eyebrow, and picked my chin up. "Because I go there. And take my word for it; it is not the 'open-minded' school it claims to be." Connor glanced towards me in fear, but I just leaned down and whispered in his ear, "Don't worry about it. We'll get through it."

--

"Wait, what are we doing here?" Connor asked as I pulled into a parking lot. I killed the ignition and unbuckled myself from the seat I was sitting in.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you with everything that has been going on," I laughed. "Tyde's birthday is tomorrow! I have to get him a present and all that kind of shit, you don't mind, do you?"