Fifty

"Take care of him Pippin", Luin instructed once he made sure that Faramir was alright. The man unconscious but breathing. Outside a high pitched horn echoed through the doors. Luin unsheathed his swords again. "I need to go back outside". Pippin nodded and Luin spared him a brief reassuring smile before running back out of the citadel. As soon as he was in the air, he was soaring up and looking down below. 

Three Nazgul and their fell-beasts were still circling the battlefield. Men of the south, riding Oliphants bred for war, had joined the battlefield. Massive creatures with huge tusks and leathery grey skin. Small forts had been strapped to their backs and archers lined the levels. Luin saw the fell beast of the witch king drop down into the battle. "Not on my watch", he scowled as the watched the other two Nazgul drop to join the battle. He dived after them. 

The fell beast twisted and snapped a him as he drew near, teeth just catching his tunic as he jumped. Feet hit it's back and the Nazgul soldier swung it's sword. Luin yelped and leaned back as the very tip of the blade caught his shoulder. A nice long cut beginning to bleed red as he hissed. He scowled at the shadow and lifted his swords. His first strike was deflected with a scrape of steel and the second glanced off the metal of a gauntlet. The Nazgûl let out a rasping chuckle as it twisted the pommel of it's blade and wrenched Luin's left sword from his grip. He gasped in pain as the movement twisted his wrist and the jade blade clattered onto the fell-beast's wing. Luin pulled a talisman from his sleeve and used the distraction to thrust the paper under the metal chest pate. Then he was pulling quickly away and sliding off the beast's back, his lost sword flicking back under his feet as he hit open air. A explosion of blue energy echoing behind him. 

Luin twisted and glanced for the other Nazgul. Below he could see ships with black sails dotting the river. He sighed at the sight of more opponents then paused. A familiar energy, a pulse and a life. Then something dark. He frowned then gasped as a wave of green ghosts spilled from the ships and overtook the battle field. Almost at the same time there was a burst of dark energy disappearing and he looked down to see the crumpled form of the Witch king fall to the ground. A woman with familiar blonde hair standing over it. Luin smiled in relief. So the witch king could be killed after all. 

He turned his gaze back to the ships. Three familiar figures charging into battle. At the sight of silver hair and green clothes, the pulse of energy from the jewel around his neck, Luin let out a breath of relief. Legolas was here, and it seemed like he, Gimli and Aragorn had brought friends. (He wondered where the heck they had managed to pick up an army of ghosts, but that was a story for later). 

On the battle field below, Legolas looked up. His sharp eyes picking out the glowing blue sword and the figure standing on it. He grinned as his arrow hit it's mark, relief at seeing Luin again making the adrenaline of battle mix with excitement. "Sixty!" He called out to Gimli. Their competition still going. He glanced up once again just in time to see an arrow ark from one of the Oliphants. The small figure in the sky jerked as the arrow met it's mark. For a second it stood still then it's feet slipped from the blade and it dropped. 

"No!" Legolas cried out in horror. He was too far away from where Luin was falling and for a second his heart stilled. He didn't want to see his lover hit the ground. Then the sword in Luin's hand stopped and he was dangling from the hilt high over the battle. The arrow still sticking out of his chest. Legolas was too far away to save him, but the man who had hurt Luin was closer.  He set off running.

------

Luin hadn't seen the arrow until it was too late. He gasped with pain as it landed in his chest, just below his right collarbone. The impact left him breathless and the pain hit. He felt his feet slip from the blade. Shock making him loose control of the air and he plummeted. The Thunderclouds high above a rolling curtain of black. He was falling, gravity pulling him down. Air was whistling through his ears and his hair was whipping around his head. The blood soaking the arrow shaft flickering off into drops as the air let him fall.