Forty four

Gandalf didn't go back to sleep after that. He wanted to think about what had happened, plan on what to do next. Luin knew that he should have stayed up with him. Pippin had half collapsed in to sleep as soon as the whole event was over. He curled up at his cousin's side, whimpering and clutching at the blanket. Merry sitting on the bed next to him in silent support. Gimli and Aragorn were seated on their beds, watching Gandalf warily. Waiting to hear what the wizard was going to say next. Luin should have stayed but he got no choice. Legolas slipped an arm around his waist and under his legs. The elf standing up, taking Luin with him.

"Where are you going?" Gimli called as the elf turned to the door.

"While these night events are serious", Legolas responded calmly. "There is still quite a few hours till the dawn. We are all exhausted and a few of us", he raised an eyebrow at Gimli, "are hungover. Luin is drained and his spiritual energy is exhausted. He needs rest so I'm taking him back to bed. We can plan in the morning".

Gandalf nodded. "He is right. Luin faced off against Sauron directly. It's a marvel neither him or Pippin were killed. Take him to get some rest". Legolas in,dined his head and strode out the open door. Luin might have protested if the mental and magical attack hadn't left him feeling beaten and sore. Instead, he clutched at Legolas' tunic and closed his eyes.

He opens them again as Legolas set him gently down on the bed. Luin fumbled and took the talismans he had grabbed out of his pockets. He set them on the bedside table as Legolas pulled Oof his cloak. The blonde pulled off his boots and unblocked his belt before sliding into bed next to him and wrapping his arms around his waist. Luin hummed as he got comfortable, tugging the blankets over their shoulders as he felt the warm wight of Legolas' chest against his back. His lover a shield between him and the world. Luin fell asleep like that. Legolas grounding him and the warmth a welcome.

Despite that however, he woke several times with nightmares. Some were burning dark. The eye blazing in his mind and pain in his chest. Others were the suffocating dark of water. Blackness, unable to tell up or down, inability to breathe. He woke several times, gasping, crying, shaking. Mind terrified and half awake as he struggled. Legolas held him through it all. Humming soothingly and hugging him close until he fell back asleep. Only to wake up half an hour later with another nightmare on his tongue and a choked cry. The dark energy still lingering tugging at his vulnerability. Luin too drained to fight it. So Legolas held him through it. Rocking him until he was drifting away. Hugging him close despite the panicked thrashing.

When Luin finally woke again, this time properly, the room was bright with the morning sun. He blinked blearily as a hand gently brushed the hair out of his eyes. Legolas smiles at him. His lost sleep indiscernible on his face. "Morning Melethril", he greeted softly. Luin sighed softly and returned the smile. He was still wrapped in the elf's arms, his own hands pressed in the small space between them.

"Morning Nin Ithil", he replied. "Thank you". The gratitude was for the night before. Luin felt bad that Legolas didn't get much sleep.

Legolas sighed and caught Luin's hands to press a kiss to his knuckles. "There is no need for thank yous between us. I never like the effect dark magic has on you. It worries me. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Nothing worse than nightmares". Luin reassured him and then looked out at the window. The sun peaking between the shutters was bright and white of the morning, not just after dawn but the swell of light just as it started to gain weight. They had been sleeping in a while. "We have slept in", he muttered, sitting up. Legolas followed his action. "We should meet the others".

"They are to meet with king Theoden at early noon", the blonde stated. He pulled Luin a new blue grey tunic from the trunk at the end of the bed and handed it over. Luin swapped his old one for the clean material. Legolas still in his green clothes from last night. As Luin's head popped out of the neck, the elf smiled and began finger combing the bed hair. Luin grimaced. He still missed his long hair. That didn't have to be tamed every morning. Legolas chuckled at Luin's wrinkled nose. He dropped his hands and clapped the other's. "Let's go a meet with them".

Luin nodded and clipped his sword belt back around his waist. The two of them fastened their cloaks and Legolas swung his bow and quiver onto his back. His long hunting knives at his waist as Luin picked up his staff form where it had been resting by the door. They left the room and the warm santuary of their bed behind as they walked to the main hall. Gandalf's voice was echoing around the stone as they entered.

"There was no lie in his eyes. A fool, but an honest fool he remains. He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the ring". The white wizard smiled as they entered but continued speaking. Luin and Legolas both nodded at Aragorn and Gimli. Merry and pippin were there too. The two hobbits half hidden in a corner as they listened. "We have been strangely fortunate. Pippin saw in the palantir a glimpse of the enemy's plans. Sauron planes to strike at the city of Minas tirith. His defeat at helm's deep has shown the enemy one thing, the heir has come forth. Men are not as weak as he supposed. There is courage still, strength enough perhaps to challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will jot risk the people of middle earth uniting under one banner, he will raise Minas tirith to the ground before he sees a king return to the throne of men. If the beacons of Gondor at lit, Rohan must be ready for war".

"Tell me", King Theoden's voice was calm. "Why should we ride to the aid of those who would not come to ours? What do we owe Gondor?"

Unedited