Twenty one

Night had descended upon them by the time they had climbed up into Lorien. The city was a network of houses and platforms built up in the canopy of giant trees. The elvish architecture blending into the environment so well that it looked like everything was grown from the earth. As if the trees themselves had shaped and changed to make themselves habitats for the elves. Luin supposed after many hundreds of years, some of that might be true. Lights sparkled in the dark like a little galaxy in the leaves. Elves drifting along walkways and bridges in shimmery robes and finery. Despite all the times Luin had seen it before, the beauty and awe of the place never quite faded.

The fellowship was led up into the trees and told to wait at the bottom of a shimmery white set of stairs. Luin could tell that they all felt dirty and disgusting compared to the elves around them. Dark orc blood and sweat stained their clothes. Even Legolas, who had a glamour, was covered in dust from the mines. Luin's own robes made him want a to gag. But all thoughts of appearance quickly left their minds as they noticed the couple descending the stairs towards them. Luin could practically sense the dropping of jaws.

Galadriel was as resplendent as ever. Her whole being seemed to glimmer like starlight. At her side, Celeborn stood tall. His silver clothes matching hers and his expression as calm as a lake. Galadriel smiled kindly down on them all and Luin couldn't help but relax slightly now that she was here. Her presence of power passing over them like a safe warm bubble. "The enemy knows you have entered here", Celeborn spoke sternly. His presence as cool and calm as Galadriel's was bright. "What hope you had in secrecy has now gone". He looked over them all for half a second. "Nine are here yet ten set out from Riverndale. Tell me where is Gandalf? For I much desire to speak with him. I can no longer see him from afar".

Luin couldn't hide the twitch in his expression at the name. He turned his head and met Galadriel's deep blue gaze. "You mourn my child", her voice was a soft brush in his mind. Loss burdens you darling Luin. Luin dropped his head and gripped slightly at Legolas' hand.

Your burdens are heavy. I am sorrowful that I can not offer you any relief. Luin shook his head slightly. His burdens were his to bear.

"Gandalf the grey did not pass the boarders of this land", Galadriel's voice was barely more than a whisper as she spoke aloud. "He has fallen into shadow".

"He was taken by both shadow and flame", Legolas murmured gently. Then he scowled. "A balrog of Morgoth, for we went needlessly into the net of Moria".

"Needless were none of the deeds of Gandalf in life", Galadriel responded. "We do not yet know it's full purpose. Do not let the great emptiness of doom fill your heart Gimli son of Gloin. For the world has grown full of perils and all lands love is now mingled with grief". Gimli looked up at her in surprise, eyes wide. In the background Boromir started crying, muffled dry sobs. Luin wanted to join him, add a layer to the sorrow. But he didn't. He held his head up and bit his tongue to keep back the tears.

"The quest stands upon the edge of a knife, stray but a little and to ruin it will fall". Galadriel's warning was sharp. "Yet hope remains, while the company is true. Do not let your hearts be troubled. Go now and rest for you are weary with sorrow and much toil. Tonight you will sleep in peace". She waved one graceful hand and Haldir stepped forwards. The golden clothed elf gestured for them to follow him and turned down a path.

As Luin was leaving, he got a sense of melancholy. May your dreams be gentle Luin, Galadriel's voice in his head was a soft parting.

——

Luin sighed deeply as he reclined back against Legolas' legs. The blonde elf's fingers soothingly running through his hair. The elves had made them a camp at the base of the giant trees. Tents posted in small grassy patches between their roots, full of soft pillows and warm blankets. It was a welcome haven of warm safety that they had all missed after weeks on the road. Luin closed his eyes and basked under the moonlight. His borrowed silver and pale blue robes light on his freshly washed skin.