Twenty two

When the sun rose the next morning, the Fellowship were all awake and preparing for the day. The elves of Lorien led them to the outskirts of their forest where a river met the woods. They filled their supplies with food and water, gave them clean clothes. Luin was forced to finally leave the blue robes he had taken from Rivendale. The sleeves were tattered from travel and there were a few tears in the billowing fabric. It was lucky that Haldir knew what clothing he preferred. The blonde elf appeared at their tents the next morning with bundles of folded up fabric before hurrying them towards the river. The Lorien elves not wanting the evil of the ring to linger longer than necessary in their lands.

The fellowship stood in a line on the bank as elves came forwards and draped thick dark green cloaks over their shoulders. The clasps all matching little silver and green leaves. Recognisable by their unique design. "May these cloaks help shield you from unfriendly eyes", Celeborn blessed. Luin inclined his head in thanks. The dark green of his cloak blending int well with the navy blue of his new robes. These new robes only had one robe like layer, underneath he wore a tunic and slim cut trousers for agility. It meant that there was less fabric holding him back. Luin liked them but still preferred his traditional wear. The heavy layers as comforting to him as childhood.

"We have prepared boats for your journey", Haldir gestured to three long canoes bobbing on the water. "You may take them down the river to the passage of the kings".

"Many thanks", Aragorn replied as they began loading their new supplies on board.

Legolas stuck a hand in one of the bags and grinned in delight. He held up a triangle piece of white bread. "Lembas", he stated to Merry and Pippin. He took a tiny bite and chewed on it cheerfully. "Elvish wheat bread. One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a fully grown man".

"It's good for travel", Luin shrugged, pulling a face at the bread. "No flavour though". Legolas gave him and mock gasp and Luin poked him in the side. "Don't give me that look", he giggled. "I know you prefer fruit over lembas". Legolas grinned unashamedly and resumed packing. Once all the bags were packed, he stepped back up onto the shore to retrieve some more. Luin stayed by the canoe with the hobbits.

"How many did you eat?" Merry asked Pippin.

"Four". The two small hobbits exchanged looks. Then Pippin belched loudly and Merry winced. Luin hid his laughter behind his sleeve.

Once all their supplies were packed, Galadriel appeared to wish them farewell. She appeared just as beautiful as the night before. She-elves flanking her on either side, objects covered in silk in their arms. She smiled at them warmly, her presence gentle. She seemed settled somehow. Luin got the sense that she was peaceful. He wondered what had happened during the night for there to be such a change.

"The road you're on has many dangers", she warned them. "As a sign of support on your endeavour, we offer you these gifts in hopes that they will aid you well". She turned to Legolas and waved an arm. One of the female elves stepped forwards and offered him a silken package. Legolas unwrapped the cloth to reveal a long bow of dark wood. "My gift to you Legolas is the bow of Galadrin, worthy of the skill of our woodland kin". Legolas had a look of awe on his face as he gently flicked the string. It sung harmoniously and he smiled in wonder.

Galadriel smiled at his expression and moved on to Merry and Pippin. "For you two, these are the daggers of Ñoldorin". Merry and pippin unsheathed the beautiful silver and green blades in surprise. The masterfully crafted weapons small and light enough for them to use easily. The blades shone in the sunlight, sharp and prepared. "They have already seen service in war. Do not fear, young Peregrin Took, you will find your courage". Pippin smiled hesitantly back at her.

Galadriel nodded at them and moved on to Sam. "For you, Samwise Gamgee. Elven rope made from heathline". An elf held up a silvery coil of rope and same took it reverently.

"Thank you milady". He looked at Pippin and grinned. "Not one of those nice shiny daggers?" Galadriel chuckled and moved on.

"An what gift would a dwarf ask the elves?" She questioned. Gimli looked up at her. The loud dwarf seemingly shy and lost for words.

"Nothing", he mumbled. "Except to look upon the lady Galadriel one last time. She is more fair than all the jewels beneath the earth". Galadriel laughed in delighted surprise. "Actually", Gimli burst. "There was one thing, would you grace me with this?" He then mumbled something that Luin couldn't make out. Galadriel laughed again and nodded. She gave them something that he couldn't see and Gimli clutched it to his chest.

Galadriel was smiling as she moved on to him. "And Luin", she greeted. "For what can we elves give a cultivator and a wizard?"

"You needn't give me anything", Luin replied. "Our friendship has never needed gifts. You were a warming presence in a strange world Galadriel. I will eternally be grateful for that".

"Even so", Galadriel waved a hand and another elf stepped forwards. "May we offer you this. A party to Valinor found it in the harbour. I believe that it was once yours". Luin's eyes widened at her words and he unwrapped the silk with shaking fingers. In the silk lay a familiar object that Luin hadn't seen in centuries. He picked it up and flicked it open. The fan unfolding with a burst of energy.

"This was my mother's", he breathed as he ran his fingers along the carved designs in the delicate wood. The fan looked like it was brand new despite being lost for a thousand years. The wood was as black as ink with delicate lotuses carved into the handles. The material covering the slates was a midnight blue. A design of grey branches and white cherry blossom driving over the canvas. Luin gave it a experimental flick and felt the spiritual energy sing. The weapon still protected by the lingering traces of his mother's Qi. It mingled with his own and he could, for a second, feel her presence. All around them a gust of wind burst forth and tugged at their cloaks before disappearing. Luin gave a dry sob and clutched the fan to his chest, overcome by emotion upon seeing it. "Thank you", he breathed.

"May this bring you some peace Luin", Galadriel offered. Luin inclined his head and she stepped on to Aragorn.

"For you, I have nothing greater to give than that you already own". She lifted her fingers and traced off the star dangling from his throat. Not touching the silver, but feeling it's presence. "I fear the grace of Arwen Elvenstar will diminish", she spoke in elvish.

"I would have her leave these shores and be with her people", Aragorn replied. "I would have her take a ship to Valinor".

"That choice is yet before her. You have your own choice to make Aragorn. To rise above the height of all your fathers since the days of Elendir, or to fall into darkness with all that is left of your kin". Galadriel stared at him for a second then her tone softened. "Farewell. There is much you have left to do. We shall not meet again Elessar". She stroked a hand gently over his cheek before moving to Frodo.

"Farewell Frodo Baggins. I give you the light of our most beloved star". She handed him a round glass vial and Frodo took it calmly. Galadriel then leaned over and pressed a kiss to his forehead. "May it be a light for you in dark places, where all other lights go out".

——

Luin dimly remembered boarding the boats. He was sharing with Legolas and Gimli. Aragorn and Boromir each with the hobbits. Legolas rowing as Luin studied the fan in his hands. His fingertips running over smooth wood as he recalled his mother doing during her silent moments of thought. The memory was nostalgic and sad. With this, he now had all his parents spiritual weapons. Their legacy now fully his. He lifted the fan and gently pressed a kiss to the tip before tucking it into a pocket inside his robe.

"What did the Lady Galadriel give to you Gimli?" He asked curiously. The dwarf had been muttering romantics about the fair lady ever since Lorien disappeared behind them.

Gimli sighed wistfully. "I asked for one hair from her golden head. She gave me three". Over Gimli's head, Legolas and Luin shared a smile. They knew the story of Galadriel and her hair. For her to give Gimli such a gift, it was more than he realised.

"That is truly a marvellous gift", Luin remarked with a fond sigh. His eyes turning towards the horizon. "A marvellous gift indeed".

Unedited