Twenty eight

The forest was old and full of emotion. Legolas could feel it around him as they travelled deeper. The tracks had disappeared a distance back but they pressed on. The ground uneven with roots and the trees gnarled and twisty with age. Each forest was different. Though, Legolas had not been in a forest quite like this one before. This one was angry and painful. The trees were hurt and their whispers were bitter. He was half awed by it and half disturbed. What had Saruman been doing to turn the trees so dark? It made his skin crawl.

"These are strange tracks", Aragorn paused. They were in a small clearing. The trees looming over them, branches full of cobwebs and dust.

"The air is so close in here", Gimli muttered.

"These trees are old", Legolas replied as he surveyed the clearing. Listening to the whispers. "Very old. Full of memory, and anger". There was a creaking groan and Gimli started, axe coming up defensively. "The trees are speaking to each other".

Aragorn hissed. "Gimli, lower your axe". The trees did not like axes. Gimli did so hesitantly. Still eyeing the forest nervously.

"They have feelings my friend", Legolas smiled slightly. Still at awe at the nature around them. "The elves began it", he spoke softly. "Waking up the trees, teaching them to speak". He tilted his head and listened to the hushed voices in his mind. Searching for anything of relevance to Luin or the hobbits.

"Talking trees", Gimli grunted. "What do trees have to talk about? Except the consistency of squirrel droppings".

Legolas turned sharply, striding past Aragorn. The trees had told him something. "Aragorn, Something is out there".

"What do you see?" Aragorn hissed in elvish.

Legolas scanned the forest. Watching and listening. "The white wizard approaches", he murmured, still distracted by the voices.

"Do not let him speak", Aragorn stated, voice hushed. "He will put a spell on us". His hand drifted down to his sword and Legolas slipped and arrow out of his quiver. "We must be quick". There was the scraping of steel as Aragorn unsheathed his sword and they all turned at once. Legolas letting lose the arrow. Gimli throwing his axe with a yell as Aragorn raised his sword.

A bright white light blinded them. The figure behind the glare nocking Gimli's axe aside and breaking Legolas' arrow. Aragorn's sword glowed with heat and the man dropped it with a cry. In mere seconds, all three of them were defenceless and blinded. "You track the footsteps of two young hobbits and a wizard", the white figure voiced. It was a familiar voice but Legolas couldn't place it.

"Where are they?" Aragorn shouted in reply.

"They passed this way. The hobbits the day before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?"

"Who are you?" Aragorn hissed. "Show yourself!" The bright light faded and they blinked. Standing before them was a man they thought dead. Gandalf smiled at them calmly. His hair now a long straight white and his robes no longer ragged. He wore white from head to toe but his face was still the same. The reassuring glimmer in his eyes.

"It cannot be", Aragorn breathed.

"Forgive me", Legolas murmured as bowed. "I mistook you for Saruman".

"I am Saruman", Gandalf smiled. "Rather, Saruman as he should have been".  His voice was gentle.

"But you fell", Aragorn muttered.

"Through fire, through water. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak I fought the balrog of morgoth. Until at last I threw down my enemy and smoute his ruin upon the mountain side. Darkness took me and I strayed out of thought and time. The stares were prepared and everyday was a life age in the earth. But it was not the end. I felt life in me again. I've been sent back, until my task is done".

"Gandalf".

"Gandalf. Yes", he hummed. "That is what they used to call me. Gandalf the grey, that was my name. I am Gandalf the white and I come back to you now at the turn of the tide". He looked over them, eyes pausing on Legolas for a second. "Come", he ordered, he began leading them through the forest. The three of them jogging to catch up with his brisk pace.

"Gandalf", Legolas called. "What of Luin? Have you any news?"

Gandalf glanced at him over his shoulder. "Do not fear. I have found my apprentice. He is safe". Legolas breathed out a sigh of relief. The fear and panic in his stomach finally loosening their hold. "Come, I have moved him over here and removed his binds but he is still weak". He marched onwards and Legolas ran after him eagerly.

Luin was lying in a small hollow within the roots of a tree. The wood almost cradling him safely. It was only Legolas' keen eyesight that picked him out. His clothes so torn and muddy that they almost blended in with the dirt. Legolas was kneeling at his side in an instant, hands gently reaching out to cup Luin's face. "Melethril", he murmured softly as he took in the damage. "What did they do to you?"

Luin's normally golden toned skin was waxy and pale. A purple bruise stained his temple and several green and yellow ones dotted his jaw. His green cloak was missing and his blue robe was torn. The tunic underneath bloody and ragged. Red marks from ropes were visible through the tears and more bruises accompanied them. But what Legolas first noticed was the mess of hair on Luin's head. What had once been long black strands to his hips, was not crudely shorn. It was a birds nest of tangles and dirt. Some strands as long as the top of his shoulders, while other strands brushed his cheekbones. Legolas felt cold fury fill him at the sight. Saruman would pay for injuring Luin so.

Luin's eyelashes fluttered. He blinked hazily at Legolas, a soft smile tugging at his lips. "Nin Ithil", he croaked, voice horse. Legolas bent and placed a kiss to his forehead. "I knew you'd find me".

"Hush Melethril", Legolas murmured back. "You're safe now". Luin smiled and closed his eyes, falling back asleep. Legolas gently scooping him up into his lap. He thanked the tree for looking after his lover and the forest creaked back in response.

"How did this happen?" Gimli asked worriedly behind them. The dwarf scowling as he took in Luin's state. "He's a wizard. How did mere Uruks do this?"

"Saruman had a trick", Gandalf sighed. "A rope specially designed to block Luin's powers. Without it, Luin was as powerless as a average human. But do not worry yourselves too much. Now that I've removed the rope, he shall heal up as normal within the day". Legolas hummed in acknowledgment, eyes still scanning Luin's face. Relief and distress warring inside him. Relief that Luin was not badly injured. Distress that Saruman had disgraced him.

"Come", Gandalf announced. "We must ride". He began walking again. Aragorn and Gimli following. Legolas picked Luin up, the sleeping form worryingly light in his grasp. He pressed another kiss to Luin's forehead before joining them. The forest whispering them goodbyes.

Unedited