Chapter thirty-nine

The next morning Sophie woke up to her alarm blaring. But instead of her little jingle, it was Keefe's voice yelling: "FOSTER! WAKE UP! OR I WILL COME TO YOUR HOUSE AND JUMP ON YOU! WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UPPPPP!"

Sophie folded her pillow over her ears, muffling the sound. "KEEFE AND DEX I WILL KILL YOU!!" She screamed as if they could hear her. She knew that Dex had helped Keefe with this.

Sophie rolled over, turning the alarm off. Then she saw the time. Six a.m.

Her phone buzzed.

I think two of you are going to die today. Tam texted.

He wasn't wrong, Sophie was already planning revenge.

But while she was awake she might as well get ready for the day. She crawled out of bed and grabbed some clothes out of her closet and changed in the bathroom. She decided to leave her hair down today.

Sophie wore a grey long sleeve that she tucked into black ripped jeans with a chain belt. It was difficult to do stuff with only one hand but at least she still had her dominant hand.

It was only six fifteen, so Sophie decided to be productive. She made her bed, cleaned her room as best as she could, but as she looked around, she realized that she really needed something in her room that said "Sophie lives here!" Keefe had pointed it out a while ago, but she never acted on it.

She had a few pictures of her and her family on a shelf, but that was it. Sophie reminded herself to go shopping after school.

By the time she was done, it was 6:45. Sophie opened her door to see Sandor looking down at her. She sometimes forgot he was there because he was so silent and she hadn't went outside with him yet, but she still didn't like having a bodyguard.

"Good morning Miss Foster." Sandor said in his squeaky voice. It really throws you off given his 6 foot 8 muscly frame and intimidating face.

"Morning Sandor." Sophie began to walk downstairs. "How is school going to work today? I'm not sure how well they'll react to having you follow me around all day."

They reached the first floor and went into the kitchen. "You are going to school today?" Sandor asked.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I?" Sophie put two pieces of bread in the toaster.

"With your recent situation and your current condition, I do not think it would be the safest to have you in public areas." He stated.

"Public areas are no more dangerous than my house, need I remind you that I was taken from my room?" She pointed out.

"I suppose you are right, and to answer your previous question, I will be keeping watch from the shadows."

"I'm pretty sure you'll get noticed."

"I have trained Mr. Song and Miss Vacker to conceal themselves, I can do it myself."

It took Sophie a minute to realize that Mr. Song was Tam.

Her toast popped from the toaster. Sophie buttered it and sat in the breakfast nook, looking out at the rising sun. Orange and pink streaked across the grey-blue sky. Little flecks of gold and silver floated around on the clouds. It was so peaceful.

When she finished her breakfast, Sophie went out and sat on her porch, leaning against a support beam. In the distance she saw the Everglen mansion glistening in the morning sunlight. She breathed in the fresh air.

Sophie was relieved that Fitz had chosen to forgive her, it probably helped that she was taken, maybe he felt bad that they left on a sour note. But she had no idea how big of a tole it would take on him when he found out that Alvar was a traitor. He might resort to revenge and violence. And poor Della, her own son. Sophie prayed that it was just a trick on her mind. That the Neverseen had crafted some sort of illusion and that it was actually some Neverseen member that she didn't know.