Chapter thirty-three

The stairs took 10 minutes to walk down, about half way through Sophie gave up on fighting. All she could think about was if her friends were okay. She didn't want Keefe to feel guilty about this, it wasn't his fault. She wished she could tell him that. Tam was there, he couldn't have been fully healed by now. Yesterday he could barley walk, no way he could fight, or even run.

Fitz still hated her, and she had no idea how to fix it. Maybe she couldn't. Maybe her new friend would hate her forever. But she knew that she had to get out of here, she had to make everything right and take down the Neverseen.

Sophie knew that she had only been friends with them for a few days, or has it been weeks now? She had no clue. But they already felt like family, and nothing that happened to her mattered, as long as they were safe.

So she went limp and closed her eyes letting the Neverseen take her down the stairs and into whatever they were going to do to her next.

After a while, she was set down on what felt like a cot. Great, I'm already going to be experimented on. Sophie decided it was best not to open her eyes, she preferred to not see herself get cut open.

But instead of a knife going into her stomach, a thick layer of what felt like pulp was spread onto her legs and arms. She was tempted to look, but then the pulp started to move like it was giving her a disgusting slimy massage, so she decided to keep her eyes closed.

After what felt like ten minutes, she felt the sludge being wiped off of her, much to her delight.  But what was weird, she also felt the pain of her sprained arms and fractured legs subside.

Were they healing her? Cause if so they were just begging to get beat up.

Is it safe to look now? She wondered.

When she no longer felt like stuff was being rubbed on her, she slowly opened her eyes, and tried to adjust to the light.

She was in a white room, with cots surrounding her. There were counters and cupboards at the front of the room and when she craned her neck to see the back of it, there was a giant glass tube on a cot that she assumed was for tests and stuff.

Sophie hoped she didn't get a turn in it. At the front of the room there was a man wearing a lab coat with his back turned to her so she couldn't see what he was doing.

But when he did turn to her, Sophie wished that she had never opened her eyes. The man was wearing a mask, so she couldn't make out all of his features. But what she did see was a blood stained face and evil, evil eyes. The fact that he was holding a syringe didn't help.

Sedative. Not what she needed right now.

Sophie tried to get up, but she was tied down. She resisted against the bond, luckily without any pain, she even used her super strength, but they wouldn't budge. She was stuck. She continued to squirm and fight, but nothing happened.

The man leaned over her and stuck the needle in her neck. She expected feel drowsy and fall into a peaceful sleep like usual. But instead, the moment that the syringe left her neck, she could only feel excruciating pain. She thrashed and screamed as a thousand invisible knives stabbed into every part of her body.

She wanted to speak, she wanted to scream the worst curses that she knew at that man, but nothing escaped her mouth.

Fire ran through her veins and sweat dripped off of her skin. Her whole body clenched and kicked and screamed for mercy, but no one would provide. Her eyes clouded and her brain began to feel so mushed together that she couldn't think of anything but how much she hated her life. The pain was too unbearable for her to handle much longer and soon, the world disappeared in front of her as she fell into dreams that could only come from hell.

———————————————

She did wake up, but it was the last thing that she ever wanted to happen. The pain had made her numb, she couldn't feel, she couldn't move, and she could barely breath. The pain had dulled, but it was still there and attacking her. Maybe their plan was to kill her from the inside, but that wouldn't make sense since they needed her to help with whatever they were doing.

"What did you do to me?" she snarled at the evil doctor sitting in a chair a few feet away.

"Isn't it strange?" His voice was soft and delicate, pretty much the opposite of what Sophie thought it would be. "How your mind works, I mean. You only care for others, yet the others you care for only care about you. You let yourself be taken here, thinking that it would keep them safe if you left. But when they realize that they can't get you back, they will fall apart and we will win."

"You will never win," Sophie spat. She could barely understand what he was saying, the pain clouded her mind, filling her only with rage and misery. But she knew, even if she had to feel this pain for the rest of her life, she would never let them win.

"You may think that now, but soon you will see the truth." He stood and lowered his mask. His face was so scarred you could barely make out his features. His mouth was only visible when he was talking, and his nose was so deformed, it might have been sideways. "The Black Swan are the ones hurting people. We are removing them to save the world. And you are a necessary component we need to do that."

Sophie found what he was saying ridiculous. He literally injected her with pure pain and expected her to believe that they were the good guys.

"You've got some brain issues if you actually believe that," she told him.

He put the mask on again, "I guess we'll have to see about that." He took a black square out of his pocket and pressed a silver button in the centre of it.

Sophie felt the restraints loosen around her wrists and ankles, letting her slide out of them and sit up.

"Come with me. And if you try anything, I will not hesitate to do much worse than that shot."

Sophie shuddered as she thought of anything that could be worse than what he stabbed into her neck. But she dropped from her cot, ready to find out everything she could about this place and her enemies.

A/N

1153 words!

Hey guys! I am going to try to stick to writing 3-4 chapters a week, but we will see how that goes. 🤪
Hope you enjoyed!

😄♥️😈-kayTam87