Chapter thirty-five

Yes! She did it! She was invisible again. Sophie just prayed that she could stay like this until she got out.

She continued to work on breaking her ankle bonds while the Neverseen members began to argue among themselves. "Where did she go!?" One of them yelled.

"I don't know! I wasn't the one supposed to keep an eye on her!" He turned pointedly to the third cloaked person who was looking directly at Sophie.

"Guys," he said, shutting them up. "The wrist bonds were broken, but the ankle ones weren't."

"How did she get out then?" The second neverseen member asked.

"And how did she get through the locked door?
The first one said.

Sophie began to panic as they walked closer to her chair, inspecting it. If one of them touched the chair and felt her there, she was screwed.

She channeled all of her strength into her legs again and began to pull at them with her hands. This time they didn't cut into her skin.

Sophie was concentrating too much on getting off the bonds that she didn't realize the hand reaching to touch where her leg was. Suddenly she felt a cold tingly feeling in her shin. Sophie looked down to see the guys hand going through where her leg was.

What?!"

Sophie instantly felt a rush of power and her legs broke free of the bonds. But she realized that she didn't break them, instead she phased through.

What the hell! Am I a freaking ghost?

She didn't think about it as she stood up and ran through the guy inspecting her chair. The cold, tingly feeling shot up her entire body and she ran out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

I am a ghost. I am dead. I died.

Sophie continued running through the halls, looking for an exit. She could've looked around for things that could help the Black Swan, but she needed to get out of that place. Her mind flashed back to the med room, laying on that cot while the evil doctor injected pure agony into her veins. Her chest constricted at the memory of Gisela shooting a bolt of electricity at her while the whole of the Neverseen cheered for her pain.

She wanted to go home and lay in her bed more than anything in the world. But first she needed to escape.

Her eyes scanned the doors as she sprinted past. None of them said 'stairs to freedom', so she kept running until she was at the end of the hall. In front of her was a metal door with a stairs sign on the door. Yes!

Sophie pulled the handle and went up three flights of stairs before reaching another door. Her heart dropped when she saw a hallway with at least one hundred black doors.

Why did life hate her?

She sighed in frustration and continued to run. She could've walked, nobody could see her or touch her, but every second she spent in there the felt like the walls were closing in more and more .

Sophie read the names on every single door, until one finally caught her attention. A white door with a silver bird on it. Something tickled the back of her brain. A Moonlark.

She had learned about the Moonlark in school, when the bird laid its eggs, it would set them in the ocean and let them drift. When the egg hatched, the bird would have to learn to fend for itself. It was also a myth, but there had to be some reason that she was named after it.

Sophie pulled down the handle and quietly opened the door. She slapped her hand over her mouth before she could gasp. The walls were covered top-to-bottom with pictures of her and her family. Her old one and her new one.

She saw a few of her new friends in there as well. One picture stood out to her. Sophie stepped into the room to get a good look at it.

In the picture was her birth family in their old car with a black Ford about to crash right into them. Sophie's heart stopped when she saw who was driving it.

A brunette with cobalt blue eyes and a face that looked almost exactly like a particular teal eyed brunette who was very angry at her right now.

No, no. NO!

He wouldn't do this would he? No, he wouldn't. Right? At least Tam and Linh were wrong though. It wasn't their father who killed Sophie's family.

She began obsessively searching the entire room, anything to tell her that her eyes were tricking her. But all she saw were messy notes written about the Moonlark, pictures of her that she had never known were taken, and DNA strand models that she assumed were hers.

Sophie dropped to the floor as tears flowed from her eyes. A soft sob escaped from her lips.

"What was that?" A voice asked. "Why is this door open?"

Sophie snapped out of it and ripped the picture off of the wall. She sprinted past the cloaked figures crowding into the room and ran until she reached the end. Right above the final door was the one word that made her happier than anything in that moment. EXIT.

She yanked the door open and saw a ladder leading up to a trap door thirty feet above.
Sophie climbed so fast, she practically ran up that ladder until she finally reached the top, pushed open the trap door and took in her first breath of fresh air in who knows how long.

She pulled herself up into one foot tall grass and laid there until she caught her breath. Sophie stood up and closed the trap door. She looked around the beautiful field of lush grass and trees and realized that she had no clue where she was.

She sighed but began to walk through the field, hoping that she was walking in the direction of any kind of civilization. She had so much to think about, but decided to ignore all of it until she got home. Sophie walked for an hour before she found something that she recognized.

It wasn't her house, it wasn't a town, it wasn't even a gas station. It was a tree, not just a tree, the tree. The beautiful willow with twisted bark and purple and blue flowers. Thank goodness.
She was sure she could get home from there.

Sophie headed towards the tree but before she got to close, she saw a flash of silver behind it.
She looked around for anything else that could be there. She saw nothing. After a while, when Sophie thought it was safe to walk again, she heard loud thundering footsteps getting closer and closer.

She whipped around just in time to see a majestic silver horse rearing above her.

A/N

1153 words!

Hope you guys enjoyed!

😄♥️😈-kayTam87