Chapter 4: Challenges & Inquiries

Start from the beginning

-Na Jaemin? Huang Renjun? Aren't they the pair that has one case resolved without the authority's help? – I questioned, to which Haechan nodded while smiling at me.

-I don't know why those two are asking about the rumor; they haven't revealed their intentions to anybody. – Haechan pointed out.

-Do you know their purpose to start an investigation? – I thoughtfully asked.

-No, but that's why I'm telling you, we need to do something about this case. – Haechan insisted. I bent until my elbows rested on my knees, and then I looked back at Haechan while thinking about his words. Shortly, I sat down correctly, returning to my previous posture.

-Alright, you convinced me! Now, we have to set a starting point. – I told Haechan, who immediately celebrated after hearing my response.

-What would that be? – Haechan asked, intrigued.

-We have to discover Na Jaemin and Huang Renjun's intentions behind the rumor. Therefore, watching over them and keeping in close communication with them is essential. – I disclosed while looking earnestly, thinking about the current situation thoroughly.

-Renjun and I don't know each other well, but I could try. However, what about Jaemin? – Haechan asked.

-You get closer to Huang Renjun, and I will try to stand beside Na Jaemin. – I told Haechan, who immediately looked at me, surprised.

-Are you sure? Jeno-ah, you told me that you couldn't stand him. – Haechan said, but I shook my head at his comment.

-I don't know the guy, but I heard that he doesn't like me. Hence, I perceive it would be complicated to establish a friendship between us. – I admitted while thinking about how to get closer to Jaemin.

-There are many rumors about Jaemin and his friend, but neither seems to care. – Haechan pointed out, which I nodded in response, not giving it importance to his words.

-If they don't give it importance, those things aren't relevant to us either. – I mentioned before taking a deep breath. -However, I believe we need to see if those two are trying to help or perhaps have something to do with the leaked information. – I said, not leaving any possibility out of the new investigation.

-Alright. Let's start tomorrow and see how everything goes. – Haechan said before smiling at me, feeling accomplished after convincing me at last.

Na Jaemin. I have heard several things about him, but I never asked anything different since he doesn't seem to like me around.

*Nighttime*

-Jaemin's POV-

I returned home a few minutes ago. The condo seems calm tonight; there aren't any parties to disturb my sleep. However, I can guarantee my thoughts will help me get through the night; after all, I still have many questions regarding the current investigation. Therefore, I started to write my ideas in the notebook. I put down on paper all the inquiries inside my head.

The suspect's motives were to betray the institute. The suspect's position. Who had a problem with its superiors? Is the subject trying to damage the institute's reputation, or is it targeting someone specific?

Those questions wandered inside my head alongside other inquiries about the same subject: the ongoing case. However, I believe my attention drifted towards the investigation, narrowly more when I heard Jeno could join the hunt for the truth. Regardless of my admiration and slight crush on him, I don't wish to compete with him in anything. Beyond all, I know everyone would compare how we work and the differences during our investigation process, including myself. Yet, I feel pleased that he hasn't searched for Renjun or me; I wouldn't enjoy his company, or maybe I would. It is hard to tell.

-Aish! That lawyer is inside my head again. – I frustratedly complained before caressing the back of my head. Then, before I could resume my writing, I heard my phone ring. Immediately, I took it and saw the screen.

"News! The institute's blog got updated a few minutes ago, and you were right, Jae. The superiors already acknowledge the rumor, meaning that it is, indeed, true and entirely accurate." – Alice.

After reading my friend's text, my jaw dropped. Shortly, I unlocked the screen and replied as fast as possible.

"What else did the institute publish about the rumor?" I asked.

"The institute's principal will look into the matter with the authorities. And the leaked information is said to be about the entire institute." Alice replied.

"So, everyone is in danger." I wrote.

"Exactly. Now, the superiors noticed the huge problem. But, Jaemin, I suggest you stop the investigation now that you can do it." Alice sent.

"Why?" I asked.

"The authorities are getting involved; therefore, everything will be riskier as you move forward with the investigation," Alice mentioned.

"Alice, if you feel concerned about your security, then quit helping me. But I won't back away, not now." I replied, hoping she would understand my position.

"There's no way I will leave you alone, Jaemin. I'm only worried about you. But alright, if you want to move forward, I'll be there for you." Alice wrote.

"Thank you. It means a lot to me." I sent before placing my phone away, shortly taking a deep breath.

-The rumor is true; I felt it was accurate, and the outcome is as I imagined. – I spoke, still amazed after knowing the latest news. Yet I started to get slightly worried. After all, what Alice said makes sense. The authorities are now merged within the investigation, meaning the problem at hand is grave.

Does Jeno know about this? Should I warn him? But should I even worry about him?

I shook my head while still feeling conflicted, but then I looked down at the floor while thinking about my current thoughts.

-Jeno is a clever lawyer, and I know when he hears that the authorities are leading the investigation, he'll back away. Yes! He may let them work. – I spoke, trying to convince myself to ease my concerns.