Chapter 26 - Free

Start from the beginning

The other victors looked shocked and impressed at me. They had not expected such a speech. I had not either. The words just seemed to break out of me, when I was passionate about it. The citizens were obviously overwhelmed as no one had talked about Coin like that before. They could not even imagine what we had experienced during the rebellion. 

"I think (f/n) is right", Johanna supported me. 

"After all Katniss sacrificed everything for our sake", Finnick agreed. 

"What happened is absolutely unsound", Beetee chimed in. 

Peeta stayed silent as it was obvious that he would always support Katniss. 

"It's our task now to make the right decisions in representation of Panem. You turned Katniss into the mockingjay and then let her down, because you didn't understand her actions. You never asked Katniss how she was feeling about being the mockingjay, if she wanted all the pressure to be put onto her. And now you judge her and ignore her motives and feelings once again? Do you really think Katniss is the issue?", I questioned. 

A discussion erupted inside the crowds. 

"We will give you a few days time to think about everything that has been said today. Then we will hold a common election deciding whether Katniss should be acquitted", Paylor decided and signaled Cressida to stop the broadcast. 

"The next time you could at least warn us", Johanna scolded me. 

"I wanted the citizens to see your first reaction", I explained. 

"Alright, (f/n). I see your point. Let's wait and see if your words reached them", Paylor ended the meeting.

"Maybe you should stay here until the election", Cressida suggested. 

"Do you think they will be angry at me?", I wondered.

"Possible. You can never be sure what reaction to get", she noted. 

"May be, but I don't want to hide. I want to believe in Panem and it's people. That the changes have been real and not just superficial", I stated. 

"Though we will all stay at the Capitol until the election", Paylor proclaimed. 

We nodded. Every time something work-related took more time, we were staying at the old tribute apartments. Theoretically Johanna and I had two apartments as we were representing different districts, but we always stayed at hers.

"So what do you wanna do?", I asked Johanna. 

"Is that even a question?", she replied with a grin and approached me. We were not even inches apart as she kept moving closer, moved her hand behind me and picked up two controllers. 

"You can't get enough of losing against me, huh?", I teased her. 

She glared threateningly at me making me look away innocently. "Do you have a death wish?", she questioned. 

"You're too late if you wanna kill me. You won't be praised but punished for that now", I shot back with a grin. "I still can't believe that so much time passed already", I stated absentmindedly. 

My mind wandered to Rue. People said that time would heal all wounds, but the pain had not subsided at all. I had just kept on working on my promise. As long as Katniss was not free, Panem was not either. 

"Time flies by when you're busy", Johanna reminded me. 

Suddenly Finnick knocked and entered the room without waiting for an answer. "Hey, guys!" 

"You know that we could've been doing anything right now, don't you?", Johanna stated grinning. 

"Wouldn't have been my first time here at the Capitol. People really didn't bother much about their privacy here", he recalled. "Anyway ... Peeta and I decided to go to a high ropes course. Do you wanna join?", he invited us.