thirty-eight

// SONG: I'm A Believer, The Monkees \\

-//-

3rd of January, Monday, 1977

Marco Russo had more power than the Hogwarts students could've ever imagined.

Because on the first night back after New Year's, as James went to follow Andrea up the stairs to her dorm for the night, the stone steps under his feet quickly disappeared, turning into a slide, sending both him and Andrea flying downwards again.

Remus jumped up from the couch he had been half asleep on, watching the two of them collapse in a heap on the floor.

The slide turned back to a staircase as if nothing had happened.

"What the hell was that?" Andrea groaned, rubbing her head that had smacked into the side of the wall.

Sirius and Remus both approached, curious of the new development. "Sirius," James ordered, pointing to the stairs.

Sirius placed his foot on the bottom stair and watched in amazement as they staircase disappeared again, turning into a stone slide.

They tested everyone, but the only person it didn't change for was Andrea.

Pulling their wands, everyone got to work.

They tried every charm, jinx and spell they knew, but nothing worked. Andrea even tried to charm it with the reverse spell she'd used to make the slide with Dorcas, but James fell on his face even after that.

Sirius tried running really fast, but it still didn't work.

"I think we're gonna have to accept that the stairs are never gonna work again," Sirius sighed, rubbing his bruised butt.

Peter came running back into the Common Room, panting heavily after his trip to McGonagall's office.

"She – said – it's always – been there," he got out through heavy breaths. "Bull!" Remus exclaimed. "We've been going up there weekly, almost daily since third year. Did she say anything else?"

Peter finished drinking from the water bottle James had handed him. "Yeah. She said a Dad from the old days did it to keep her horny boyfriend away from her."

He shot looks to Andrea and James followed with a frown. "Marco Russo is a scary dude, man."

Knowing Marco had been the one to make the jinx happen, they all gave up on trying to change the stairs. The boys wished Andrea a good night and headed off to bed.

As Andrea turned to leave, she was met with James leaning against the wall, a sad pout on his face.

"You'll survive without me for one night," she chuckled, going to walk up the stairs.