twenty-five

// SONG: I'm Still Standing, Elton John \\

-//-

18th of April, Sunday, 1976

Andrea squeezed her eyes tight, feeling the hard glare of light on her eyelids. She groaned and tried to lift her hand to cover her eyes, but it wouldn't budge.

She peeked through one eye to see what was stopping her hand. James.

His fingers were intertwined with hers and his head was lying on top of their hands. She smiled softly at his state and gently slipped her hand out of his.

She stuck her finger out and poked his cheek, but nothing happened. Not even a flinch. She tried to roll her eyes but it hurt her head. She felt a throbbing at her temples and behind her eyes, just as the headaches that came when she used too much magic.

She lifted her hand and winced at the movement, but nevertheless reached out and stroked a hand through James' hair.

He let out a long breath and moved his head towards her hand, leaning into her touch. "Morning, sleepy," she giggled.

James grumbled and furrowed his brows, before he slowly opened his light-brown eyes, meeting Andrea's dark ones for the first time since that night.

His frown deepened, confusion and sleep evident on his face, until his eyebrows shot up and his head lifted so quickly Andrea got dizzy from watching him.

"You-you're... You're awake. You're awake. SHE'S AWAKE! REMUS, SHE'S AWAKE. GUYS!"

Andrea jumped, sitting up slightly in her seat as Remus shot up in a sitting position from the floor on the other side of her bed. "Moony?" 

Remus blinked several times before turning his head sharply to look at Andrea. "Andie..." he breathed; relief clear on his features.

"She's awake. POPPY!" James screamed hysterically. "James, breathe," Andrea tried to calm him. But the calm didn't last. "ARGH!" she screamed as the curtain next to her shot apart and Peter appeared.

"BAMBI!" he yelled. "OW!" she heard someone else yelp. She sat up in her bed as James finally got Madam Pomfrey's attention and she bustled over to Andrea's bedside.

Ignoring her, Andrea looked behind Peter to see Sirius awkwardly twisted in a chair, his foot stuck between the backrest and the seat. With one last skip, he fell to the floor, the chair going with him.

The others turned at the loud crash and Remus let out a soft chuckle. He walked over to Sirius' side and stood over him, a smile playing on his lips.

"Do you need a hand?" he asked knowingly. Sirius glared up at him. "Does it look like I need a hand?" Remus bit his lip, stopping the snort that wanted to come. "Do you really want me to answer that, or would you like to maintain plausible deniability for later?"