19 • Eating From The Same Plate

Payal

Payal

It was the night. The whole corridor was bathed in silver glow of moon. I was carrying the dinner tray & was walking to rajkumaar's chamber. My heart did not hold fear tonight. For the first time my heartbeats were not quickened. For the first time I was not thinking that prince could hurt me, punish me, kill me.

There was something else, rising in my heart. The echo of his morning confession lingered in my mind. That sweet melody of our heartbeats was playing in my ears. My chest was loudly blooming because of happiness.

All my thoughts jolted when I came in front of his chamber's door. I gulped. Should I enter or drop the idea?

Should I knock? Or greet him? Or just leave?

My thoughts were making my head crazy, stopping me from taking any stable decision. I took a few breaths and decided to knock finally. I live in the palace, work under him. I can never avoid him. It's better to face him. And moreover I was holding his dinner. And it was my duty to reach it to him.

Only dinner, Payal?

I felt like my inner self asking me, teasing me.

Was that dinner the only reason? Didn't I also want to meet him?

" Kaun? "  Before I could reach to any conclusion, I heard his voice coming from his chamber. And that tone did not seem good. His voice told me that he must be disturbed. Now I was little scared to step in.

( who is it?)

I pressed my lips tightly. Now I have to answer & he will know........
" Pr... Pranam ra.. Rajkumaar.... Apka raat ka khana la... layi thi " I managed to say, trying my best to keep my voice as steady as possible.

( greetings to you prince, I came with your dinner)

No response came at first but then he announced loudly. "Come in"

I licked my lower dry lip before pushing the wooden door and then I entered. I took slow steps carefully and did not dare to look up. Not at all.

I walked to his table and started serving the dishes. Only then my eyes fall on his legs. He was sitting in front of me, on the couch. Maybe looking at me as well... I could describe how badly my heart pounded inside. He didn't even had to do anything & my cheeks were flushing as hell.

" Mana kiya tha kaam karne se " He suddenly spoke.

( I told you not to work)