21 • Colouring Each Other

Writer's pov

Writer's pov

As dawn broke, the streets of Chandrapur burst into a view of colors. People emerged from their homes, armed with pichkaris and gulal, ready to paint the village in hues of joy. Laughter echoed through the palace as well. Holi comes only once in the air, people mingled with the splashes of pink, green, and yellow.

The festival of Holi had indeed transformed Chandrapur into a canvas of unity and celebration.

And in this all chaos, Rajkumaar Veer was getting ready in his chamber. He never felt this much happiness in any festivals ever.

Maybe the festival wasn't the correct reason. The correct reason was Payal. Her eyes sparkled brighter than the most vibrant gulal. For Veer, her presence was the true colour of Holi.

And then suddenly he felt someone's touch. Someone came from the back and coloured his face. A soft palm came out of nowhere and placed itself on his right cheek, colouring him in red gulal ( coloured powder).

Everything happened so fast. Veer glanced at his off-white kurta, which was now stained with splashes of red colour. A frown creased his brow as a wave of annoyance surged within him. He wanted to be coloured by Payal only but that plan didn't work. Only this brought an unwelcome irritation.

He turned around.

" Who dared t---"

His mouth couldn't form a single word when he was met with her smiling face. Payal was standing in front of her. Looking at him, Payal started laughing. His frustration died in a minute. He focused on her face more.

Her laughter was a melody that danced in his mind, reaching even the darkest corners of his heart. Her eyes alight with innocence, unaware of the effect she had on him.

He was speechless and couldn't stop himself from thinking actually what differs Payal from every single figure he has met in life. Nobody could ever provide him this much serenity. She was no princess, no noblewoman, but in this moment, his heart could not stop from calling her the queen of his heart.

Payal was giggling looking at him and her hands were filled with red gulal. With a hand, she was holding the bowl of gulal.

Veer lost in that smile. It won't be a lie to him if he says that he has never seen a smile like that. He has never witnessed anyone looking so beautiful, so ethereal while wearing only a smile. And then he wanted to plaster this smile on her lips forever. In silence he promised to protect her laughter forever, to keep it safe within the chambers of his heart.

" Kya dekh rahe hain? "

( what are you looking at?)

Asked payal after a nice round of laughter. When she finally noticed that rajkumaar was doing nothing but looking at her with amused eyes, she could not stop herself from asking.