3

when jayson was ten years old, his mom got into a car accident.

she went out one night for a girls night to get away from the family. paramedics say she was found inside of an upside down car, and it was a miracle she survived based off of how intoxicated she was.

miracles don't last forever.

jayson held her hand as she layed there in the hospital bed, his dad and brother out to get a cup of coffee from the cafeteria. when the machine next to him starting beeping and the green line that was once zig zagged went straight, he didn't know what to do.

he didn't know what was going on, either, but he knew it wasn't good.

naturally, he started to cry. then the senses kicked in and he called out and screamed for a nurse to come. for anyone to come.

he never let go of her hand.

jayson was pried away from his mother when nurses came running into the room. it wasn't a pretty sight to see a ten year old being pulled away from his dead mom.

he stood in the hallway, crying as he stared in the window frame. he was alone. there was no one there to comfort him, no one there to tell him everything would be okay. just him.

the death of his mother was the downfall of that family.

jayson never saw his brother much again after that. he often locked himself away in his room, only coming out for food every now and then. jayson could've sworn he hadn't seen him for a full week once.

his dad had teenage girls over in the middle of the night a lot. jayson would sit at his bedroom window that looked down at the front yard and wait for them to come. he would take in their appearances, and used them to create a checklist in his head of what to look for and what not to look for in a girl.

these women...these girls repulsed him. sleeping with his dad, leaving right after he finished. not having a clue the trouble they were doing, but being so stupid and such little whores at the same time.

he would hear his dad moaning at night, and he knew his brother heard it, too. a lot of the times, it caused him to have breakdowns and try to suffocate his head into his pillows and the mattress, hoping the noises would go away.

they never did.

he doesn't talk to his dad as much as he used to. the girls stopped coming over, but jayson never forgot about them. how could he?

his brother left for college when jayson was a sophomore, and he knew then that unless he moved out, he'd be stuck with his dad and the memories of everything.

the father and son were friendly, but they didn't have a normal relationship. not after his mom, or the sex, or his brother moving out. they were just kind of..there.

olivia was his only escape.

he knew he was controlling, and he knew he couldn't help how easily he got turned on. but, at the same time, he was a teenage boy that had been through a lot.