1

"what the fuck?"

olivia was sitting in the living room, her parents across from her. her mother was paler than usual with a stone cold expression on her face, fingers laced together in her lap as her father sat next to her. he stared at olivia intensely, making sure he kept a good posture.

"olivia! watch your langua-" he started, but wasn't able to get much out.

"are you guys for real right now?" liv asked, uncrossing her legs and sitting up straighter. her mother, again, sat still. she was afraid that if she did move, she would would say or do something she would regret.

when the two didn't say anything, olivia let out a scoff.

liv's aunt, who lived back in phoenix with her son michael, killed herself after her husband passed away from a heart attack. she suffered with depression, which ran in liv's moms side of the family.

michael was 17 and unable to take care of himself. liv's parents went out to stay with him for a week, and when they came back, they acted different from how they left.

colder.

and it wasn't until now liv was able to figure it out.

"we have a flight out for phoenix tomorrow morning at seven where we will be staying at aunt mary's. we will send a check every month and continue to pay finnegan on our own. there's a suitcase down in the basement in a safe. the code is your mothers birthday, and the money inside should be enough to cover college. the house will be yours." her father went on.

they were disowning her. leaving the big luxurious house with all of the responsibilities and no support.

this is when things sank in and olivia started to cry. even though her and her parents never fully got along, that's what they still were; parents.

"i can't believe this is happening." she muttered. she tried to keep a brave face in front of them, but it was harder than anticipated.

"we're looking at it as a positive thing. being on your own will be a great way to start off the new year and-" her father continued, but she only cut him off again.

"i'll still make sure i call you guys as much as possible." she said, trying to think on the bright side and wipe the tears off of her face.

and, when her mother looked up for the first time and exchanged looks with her dad, she regretted saying anything.

"olivia...once we leave..we don't want to keep in contact with you." he said, talking slowly.

liv's lip started to quiver, and she looked over at her mom.

"mom?" she asked. after hesitating, her mom made eye contact with her. olivia could see that she was crying, as well.

"when i look at you...i don't see my daughter." she said.

olivia choked. she breathed in, held in a breath, and waited a moment.

hoping, praying that it was some type of sick mind game her parents usually liked to play.

but it wasn't.

"you guys owe me an explanation." she pleaded. her dad grasped her mother's hand and decided to speak up.

"we're moving out there to take care of michael. we think it's best to leave you on your own. your mother and i...we can't keep going this thing with you." he said. olivia stood up.

"what thing?" she challenged.

"you don't listen to us. it's not the same as it used to be." he went on.

no one in the room said a thing. liv knew better than to try to convince her parents to stay. she knew why they were leaving her. she stopped following their rules, which was unacceptable. granted, a person could only take so much.

and it's not like they were dying. they were taking care of the house and finnegan and college, just not being physically present. leaving all of the glitz and glamor they could, packing their shit, and getting the hell away from this town.

and they weren't gonna take their daughter with them.

"you wanna leave? fine. don't expect your grandkids to know you." liv said, wiping off the flow of tears from her face as best she could and storming off to her bedroom.

she cried for a few days, then sulked for a few more. then, she got an idea.

a stupid, fantastic idea.

she was gonna throw a new years party.