vi. all valley

"Bow. Fighting positions." Johnny shouted and all the students got into their fighting positions. Johnny kicked Hawk's leg out from under him. "Stabilize your base, Hawk. Keep your balance. Full rotation when you strike." "Yes, Sensei." "Did you just flinch, virgin? Holy shit. We got a room full of flinchers." "Yes, Sensei!" Everyone responded. "That was not a question. Raise your hand if you've never been punched in the face." Everyone except Kelsey, Aisha, and Miguel raised their hand.

"Put your hands down. All your lives, you've been avoiding fights so you don't break your nose or lose a tooth. This concussion nonsense. So, there's only one solution, and that is before you leave this dojo, each and every one of you is gonna take a punch, very hard, to the face. Ms Robinson, Ms Georgeson, line em up. Unflinch this group." "Yes, Sensei." Aisha and Kelsey said. They both stood in front of a student and punched them in the face, continuing down the line.

                                                                                                   ***

Kelsey was about to walk out the door to head to the dojo when her parents called her back into the family room

Kelsey was about to walk out the door to head to the dojo when her parents called her back into the family room. "What's going on?" She asked, seeing all four of her parents sat down. Kelsey's family was not a normal family. Her parents were polyamorous. She had her biological mother, Debbie, and her birth mother, Sheryl, and then her two dads, Ayden and Porter. They didn't know which one was her biological father, and frankly, Kelsey didn't care. They were both her dads.

A lot of people found their family dynamic weird, and that's why Kelsey really didn't have many friends. But she was fine with it, because her family meant the most to her. "Sit down." Porter said to his daughter. Kelsey sat down warily. "So, um, we've been meaning to talk to you about this for a while, but we met someone." Sheryl said. "And you're telling me this why?" Kelsey questioned. She just wanted to go to karate.

"Because we want to invite him into our relationship." Ayden said. Kelsey was shocked. In all her sixteen years of living, her parents had never been with anyone else besides each other. "We wanted to see if that's something you would be okay with." Ayden continued. "I mean, it'll be an adjustment, but if that's what you want, and it makes you guys happy, then go for it." Kelsey told them. "His name is Walsh, and he's coming over for dinner tonight. He's very nice. I think you'll like him." Debbie said. Kelsey nodded. "Can I go now?"

                                                                                                      ***

"I need somewhere romantic, but not too romantic." Miguel said, talking about his upcoming date with Sam. "You could take her to get tattoos." Hawk offered. Kelsey, Aisha, and Miguel looked at each other, confused. Hawk stood up and took off his gi top. "I know a guy, just hooked me up with this bad boy." He turned around and they saw a giant tattoo of a hawk with a blue mohawk. "That is badass." Aisha said. "Right. Fourteen hours in the chair."

"Wait, are your parents okay with that?" Kelsey asked, knowing what his parents were like. "Oh, they have no idea. Definitely gonna have to wear a t shirt until college. Probably longer. Please don't tell them." He said, putting his gi back on. "Uh, any other suggestions?" Miguel asked. "Don't look at me. Sam and I used to be friends. We're not anymore." Aisha said. "Okay, but I need your help." "Fine. Um, I know that she likes chocolates and astronomy." "I could work with that." Miguel said. They heard Johnny yelling and Miguel ran off.

Aisha turned to Kelsey. "What'd Rick do for your first date?" Kelsey rolled her eyes. "Robby took me out for ice cream, and then attempted to teach me how to skateboard." Kelsey said, looking back at the date that occurred not that long ago. "I'm gonna fall." Kelsey said as Robby helped her up onto his skateboard. "I'm not gonna let you fall." He said, grabbing onto her hips to steady her. Kelsey turned to look at him as his gaze flickered down to her lips. He let go of her and watched. "Robby!" Kelsey yelled out as she realized that he wasn't holding onto her anymore. Robby laughed and chased after her. 

"What happened after that?" Aisha asked. "He walked me home." Kelsey told them. "Did he at least kiss you at the door?" Hawk asked, intrigued about his best friend's love life. "He was going to, but then my dad opened the door." Kelsey said. "I had a really great time today." Kelsey said as Robby walked her to her front door. "I did too. We should do it again sometime." He said. "I'd like that." Kelsey said as they got to the door. They both started leaning in, and just before their lips touched, the door opened. Porter looked between the two. "I'll see you later, Robby." Kelsey said as her father dragged her inside.

"Man, your dad is amazing." Hawk said. Kelsey rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah." "What are you guys doing tonight?" Miguel asked as he sat down again. Aisha and Hawk both shook their heads. "I have to meet my parents' new boyfriend." Kelsey said. Miguel gave her a weird look. "Yeah, you heard me. My parents. As in plural. I have four." Miguel still looked confused. "My parents are polyamorous, and so am I."

                                                                                                 ***

Debbie was right. Walsh was a very nice person. "So, honey, Pops tells us that you've been seeing someone." Ayden spoke up as they finished dinner. "Um, I was." Kelsey responded. "Oh, what's their name?" Sheryl asked, interested. "His name's Robby." Kelsey responded. "You should've invited him over for dinner." Debbie said. "Oh, I would've. But he stopped talking to me after he found out that I was in Cobra Kai." Kelsey explained.

"Cobra Kai? Huh. My cousin used to date a guy who was in that in high school." Walsh said. "Really? That's a weird coincidence." Kelsey said. "Yeah, his name was Johnny. He was a total ass." Walsh continued. Kelsey's eyes widened. "I'll be right back." She said, quickly getting up from the table and heading to her room.