Deadly Aim

Word count: 3379

Chapter warnings: Mild language, themes, violence

-----

It took San a good bit of effort to carry out his plan, but for the most part, he thought he did pretty well. His goal was to get them as close to his house as possible without actually leading them straight to the location. As far as his best guess went, there were only three cars. This was surprising to him, as all had followed him immediately, meaning Seonghwa wasn't with them, as he hadn't had time to enter one of the vehicles. He'd expected a fourth car to appear along the two hour journey, but none had surfaced. He must have been keeping tabs on the chase remotely from the offices.

The majority of the drive was easy. He'd stop at yellow lights, only make turns that had wide gaps allowing at least one of the cars to follow him. They weren't being very discreet about their spying, that was for sure. As they got closer to the town outside the woods, though, he started to be more erratic. He took side streets, drove in loops, caused the drivers to run into one another on roads. Eventually, he had them more tied up with each other than with him. He took an extra twenty minutes to make sure none had latched on, and was finally able to return home with no tail.

As this was happening, Seonghwa was, as he'd predicted, losing his shit in the office (for lack of a better term). He was infuriated when they informed him that they'd completely lost San. At first, Seonghwa assumed that he'd caught them, leading them on a wild goose chase, but Yunho soothed his worries.

"There's no way he'd take that straight a path to such a specific location if he didn't have some reason to go there. If I had to guess, I'd say that as he approaches home, he goes through a routine meant to lose anyone following him. He probably makes sure all the cars nearby are gone. The chances that he figured us out are slim, especially since the case has been open for 6 months."

"How are we meant to find him, though?"

"That town is outside of our original search parameters." Jongho pointed out. "I'm sure if we went through all the motions of the profile, but in that new range, we could come up with something. Killers get sloppy the longer they go unhindered."

"And we've already figured out that they're likely killing here to keep Y/N's familiarity. He's likely taken her so far out so that he has some mobility to manipulate her without being caught." Yunho agreed. Breathing deeply, Seonghwa nodded, trying to keep himself from becoming a wreck.

"Alright, open the search parameters, let's crack this open from the beginning."

Meanwhile, San walked into the house with their coffee, eagerly greeted by Y/N. He kissed her lightly as she took the cupholder from him, taking it into the kitchen.

"Sorry it's cold." He apologized.

"You say that every time, silly." She laughed. "Of course it's gonna be cold, it's been sitting in your car for two hours."

"I can still be sorry about it." He shrugged. "The angel deserves a hot drink."

"You know you don't have to bring me this every time you go to scout the city." She smiled. "Not that I don't appreciate it, but I know it's an extra stop. And you could be caught."

"I'm not worried about it." He shrugged. "In fact, that pertains to my surprise for this evening."

"Didn't you say we were going to go back tonight?" She asked quizzically. "Did you change your mind?"

"Sort of." He said. "Turns out, someone's coming to us. Someone who's been doing you and I quite a good bit of harm." Tilting her head, she asked,