Fitting

Word count: 3194

Chapter warnings: Mild language, themes

-----

"I hate this." She grumbled under her breath as they pulled into the department store, the sun shining cheerfully as a stark contradiction to her mood.

"What was that, angel?"

"I said I hate this." She repeated, not at all embarrassed that he heard her. "We should be working on solving a serial murder case, and instead we're buying you a new wardrobe."

"Well, as much as you don't want to babysit, I doubt they'll let me browse on my own." He shrugged. "Plus, the stranger I look, the more attention you'll get." She could have sworn she saw his tongue flick across his teeth as he added, "Unless that's what you want?"

"No." She quickly stated. "Let's just hurry this up." They both exited the car, walking into the store. It was specifically the men's section, so thankfully there were endless monochrome suits and slacks lining the walls. It shouldn't take long to find him some decent fitting items and get back to work. Before they'd even taken a few steps, though, an employee walked up to them, a cheerful smile on her face.

"Hi! How can I help you today?" As she looked at both of them, she didn't even give them the chance to respond as she asked, "Oo, a wedding maybe? I love weddings!" She clapped excitedly. "If you can show me the color of your dress, I can match whatever he's wearing to it? Or if you're the one getting-"

"No, thank you." She interrupted curtly. San was practically laughing his ass off as he watched her become irritated, although the woman looked confused, hurt even. Trying to amend for her impoliteness, she gently added, "He just needs some more professional attire. He started a, uh..." She started stumbling for what to say. It wasn't as if she owed this employee an explanation, but she was too far along now.

"I started a new job at her firm." San quickly swooped in, all traces of his amusement boiled down into a soft smile. "She's really doing me a huge favor, but I still need to look the part."

"Oh, of course!" The woman was back to smiling, immediately charmed. It almost annoyed Y/N how easily he was able to manipulate people, but as far as she could prove, it was just charisma. Perhaps that's what made killings easy for him- they just died in front of him upon request.

She directed them to the proper area for suits, followed by more of a business casual, with khakis, slacks, and button downs. She pointed down the aisle where they could migrate to locate shoes as well. Nodding politely, Y/N thanked her. She made it very clear that if the two wanted any more help, she'd be more than happy to assist them. It was honestly a little unsettling how infatuated with the man she was after only just meeting him, but she brushed it off. They didn't have time to be messing around.

"Alright, do you know your size?"

"I mean, I used to." He shrugged. "I may have lost some weight in prison. Or gained it."

"Well, there are fitting rooms. We should only need one full suit for you, the rest can be combinations of pants and shirts. We'll find you a place to do laundry. Machine washable, of course."

"Aw, but dry clean is so fancy."

"You gave up your right to make that choice when you killed a bunch of people."

"You just will not let that go, huh?" He huffed. She rolled her eyes. That was probably the first time anyone had ever suggested just "letting go" of a murder. Regardless, she was continually reminding herself not to argue with him.