Nightshift

Sunday

Last night of a night shift run was Becky's worst shift, especially when it proceeded going onto days. That 'day off' in the middle in reality was always lost between the feeling of tiredness and fighting sleep and knowing you had to be up at 6am the next day.

At least Liam, Becky's partner in crime was back on shift after his holiday. They  were the youngest on their shift by a good few years on the surgical and trauma ward.
They had originally met as newly qualified nurses starting at the same time downstairs in and A&E. Over the course of the next year or so they had both transferred up to the surgical and trauma ward.
It was Becky's intention to one day go back to the fast paced environment of A&E, but wanted to continue gaining the practical knowledge of care after the patients had been patched up and sent on by the emergency staff.

Liam on the other hand had discovered his passion seemed to be in the longer term rehabilitation side of things.
He adored getting to know patients, chatting to them. His friendly Yorkshire manner helped people warm to him quickly. He especially had an empathy with the more elderly patients.
He might only be 27 but Becky often teased him he was more like 72!

Becky had often worried that her own bedside manner wasn't good enough to be on a ward like this, but her senior always said that people likeed her 'nice and normal' manner, plus apparently she was approachable.

She was in the staff room for handover. It was as rushed and hectic as ever, call alarms from the ward were going off and by all accounts it had been a very busy day.

"Becky room 3" she strained to hear the senior nurse. "Young man, RTA, multiple internal injuries, half hourly obs" she listened as she was given details of injuries and surgery the patient had endured, she was handed a clipboard that had been taken from his bed, but she had no time to look before she was then updated on her beds within the bays.
As the fresh shift started to drift out of the room Becky took another look at the clipboard.
"Hey why does it say VIP by his name?"
But there was no one that had heard her.

Becky went straight to room 3 to replace the clipboard.
He was heavily sedated and sleeping. Becky quicky checked the monitor even though obs had only just been done by the day shift.

"I'll be back soon to check on you" she softly spoke outloud to her patient.
She glanced over again, she had no idea who was.

Back on the main ward Becky was delighted to see John one of her patients looking well, he had been in for nearly two weeks after a nasty work accident that saw him nearly lose his leg.
He had been very poorly due to a wound infection but was finally on the path to recovery now.

"Whose playing?" She asked him noticing he was watching football.

"Whose playing? Whose playing she's asking Des!" John called to a patient across the ward.

"Call yourself a Mancunian love?" Des laughed.

"Ah ok I'm guessing it's United then" Becky guessed seeing red tops on the pitch.

"No love!" John shook his head at her.

"Well they're wearing red?" She explained her thinking.

"That's Arsenal!" Des shouted over.

Becky took another look at the screen "ah ok city then. I don't follow football at all!" She couldn't stand it, she had no idea what the attraction was.
"So guessing you both want Arsenal to win then?" Becky cheekily commented.

"Get out lass!" John exclaimed making Becky giggle. "Although they will lose the way this is going! The news is that Grealish our number ten didn't even turn up! Of course they give it the 'unforseen circumstances' bulloocks, but we all know it's bullocks! It's all over twitter it is that he just never reported in with the team!"