The Calm- CHP.1

The most important thing to do when faced with an unexpected situation is to quickly but thoroughly analyze it to come up with an appropriate solution. After nearly a year of constant life-or-death struggles, I was fairly confident in my ability to adapt to said situations. Accompanied by my intellectually superior partner, I held a thorough belief that there wasn't any problem that couldn't be overcome. However, nothing in my life could have prepared me for this occasion.

Yep, I have no idea what to do here.

Looking through the vast rows of assorted jewelry within their crystal glass cases, I snuck a glance at the fencer beside me, hoping for some sort of hint. However, all she did was gaze directly at me, her blossoming smile temporarily shattering my focus. Unfortunately, it was her earlier request that had put me into such a predicament, so I didn't have the time to enjoy it.

Glancing around the store, the establishment was empty save for our mutual friend and fellow tormentor who was polishing up a few of the cases. Had I known that she planned to betray me like this, I would have brought backup, but it was too late to complain now.

June 23rd, 2024 on the 48th floor. It was fairly late in the afternoon and we had just finished up our work up on the 63rd floor. Asuna and I were discussing what we would be having for lunch when we received a message from the master engraver Sachi who wanted our opinion on a new line of jewelry she would be creating. Making our way down to the luxury stores of the 48th floor, we dropped by, had a decent lunch, and delved into the intricate and delicate topics of gem crafting.

Of course, as someone with nearly no experience in jewelry and its branches, I just sat there sipping away at my tea while the girls enjoyed themselves. That was when it all started.

'Asuna, why don't you look over some of the accessories I recently made? I'm sure you'll find something you'll like!'

'Thanks for the offer Sachi, but I'm more than happy with what I have.'

'Oh, I know nothing I made compares to that, but wouldn't it be nice to have more options for when you take breaks from the frontlines and go out casually? I know you can even have Kirito choose for you!'

And with a look that just cried 'I really want that,' here I was, trying to pick out something from the mass assortment of accessories that Sachi had created. We had gone through a lot to upgrade the accessories Asuna continued to use on the frontlines despite my concerns, but since they still held their own, I at least didn't have to choose between practicality and design. That being said-

I only got her those because of the effects and because they suited her favorite color scheme. But now she wants something 'different' and more 'casual'... if this was a regular quest I could ask around first to get a better idea of what's appropriate, but under these time constraints, how the hell am I supposed to pick the right options?!

Stifling the sigh and yell of frustration, continued to walk down the aisle of the store as I stared at the accessories underneath. Sachi's store was the smallest when compared to Liz's and Ashley's, but that wasn't saying much when 30 people could still fit in with room to spare. It was separated into 5 rows with the walls on the side decorated with intricate designs and mirrors. On the far end of the building was her counter with a few more options, and off to the right was a door leading into her workspace.

Each row was for a different category of accessories, necklaces, earrings, bracelets/anklets, and rings. In her see glass counter were even a few circlets and tiaras, but since Asuna hadn't asked for one of those at least. She also didn't ask for a ring, which was quite fortunate, but that still left 3 items that I had to somehow pick out. Usually a processing speed I normally save for emergencies, it felt like steam was coming out of my head as I tried to come up with some sort of plan.