The 50th Floor CHP. 10

Standing on the balcony of our temporary room, I took the wine glass that Kirito had extended out to me as I continued to focus on the fireworks that were going off across the night sky on the 50th floor. The entirety of Aincrad was likely in a similar state of celebration. After all, we had finally reached and cleared the halfway mark of the floating castle, a feat that was once thought unachievable. We still had 50 more floors to clear, countless more battles to overcome, but for now, we had earned this celebration.

If only it was a complete victory...

"13 huh..."

Hearing the mumble from Kirito, he had likely not intended to say that out loud, as when I looked at him, he continued to stare at the fireworks. That's right, we weren't just celebrating our victory, but also mourning the losses we took on this floor.

During the floor conquest, it had been confirmed that 8 people had lost their lives, and during the boss fight, 5 people couldn't teleport out in time, one of them being one of our own KoB members. After the boss fight, we made our way to the 51st floor and activated the teleport gate, but made our way immediately back down to the 50th floor as we counted our losses and went over what happened during the raid and the floor in general.

13 Clearers had lost their lives, and many of the guilds that had teleported out in a panic had completely disappeared, likely retiring from the front lines entirely as a result of their close encounter with death. However, even if some people blamed them, no one spoke out against them, after all, who knows how many of us would have done the same or will one day end up the same.

The commander gave a speech out to the entire raid group, along with the clearers still at the main town and the info dealers who were waiting for the report. The news spread like wildfire as everyone went off to mourn their friends, but many people planned a celebration for our feat, and to honor those we had lost. Although everyone felt the hit from our losses, both those who had died and those who left the frontlines as a result, the feeling of hope that we were slowly approaching the finish line dominated, and now here we were, drinking wine in our isolated world.

Of course alongside the report, rumors and stories were already floating around about what the commander, Kirito, and even I had done during the battle. Although they were rather exaggerated in some cases, they would hopefully provide some more hope to those still trying to join the clearing group, after all, we would need more people if we wanted to reach the 100th floor...

"Asuna..."

Looking into Kirito's eyes, I saw the conflict we shared fill his eyes, the same one that nearly overtook us during the boss fight when we first reunited. His voice was hard, and I knew that was blaming himself for what happened during the boss fight, and that the fear of what if was about to make him something that would threaten my own resolve. But he shook his head instead and instead pulled me closer with his free hand, looking back up towards the fireworks.

What if it was one of us among those 13? Why don't we just leave the frontlines? We had been fighting ever since the start of this world...it was inevitable that we would have those doubts in our minds, considering all we've been through, what we were to one another. Kirito was strong, but we all had our limits, and just as he supported me, it was my job to return the favor.

"Kirito, follow me."

"Hm? Where are we going?"

"You'll see, come on."

Finishing our drinks, I stopped him from jumping over the railing, instead leading him towards the front door. Since we would already be reforming our duo it seemed best that we would just stick with one another regardless of the circumstances, and if anyone found out, oh well, right?