Christmas Snowdown CHP. 3

We ended up getting up to the 34th floor at around 4 in the afternoon since after Asuna gave Liz the okay, she sent us off on a retrieval quest to pick up some stuff for Yuna's concert. After getting everything she wanted, I finally ended the horse rental that cost me a small fortune, although I guess it was well worth it. With my coat back in its regular form and Asuna's hood stashed away, we weaved through the unending crowds until we finally met up with Liz and Sachi in one of the more known bars of the floor.

"Hey, guys! Did you get everything?"

"Yep. You know Liz, shouldn't you have gotten all this stuff, you know, ahead of time?"

"Sorry about the short notice Kirito, Asuna, it's just Yuna had some last-minute ideas for her concert and we were all busy. Thank you for bringing everything."

"It's no trouble, so what did you want me to help out with?"

"Come on, I'll show ya. Ky, you coming to the concert later?"

"Um, I might drop by, still got some stuff to do."

"Alright, you're lost. Don't go fighting another dragon this time around though, okay?"

"No promises."

"Kirito..."

With a glare that was miles away from the face she showed me earlier, I coughed as I transferred all the items we gathered over to Asuna and broke up our party.

"Alright, well, I'm heading out now... see ya later Asuna."

"Ah, right, see ya later..."

"Hm? Oh... don't tell me I was interrupting somethi-"

"Liz, let's go get those preparations done, yes?"

"Ye-yes ma'am."

Grabbing Liz by the shoulder, Asuna dragged the terrified blacksmith away as Sachi giggled and joined them as I waved them off. I had eaten breakfast at around 6 in the morning, so I had gone nearly half a day without eating anything, yet there was one more thing I had to do before I felt like I could get an appetite again.

Exiting the door and going into the back alleys of the town, I found a nice comfy spot away from all the crowds and eyes and did the most sensible thing a guy in my position could do. I slumped down to the floor, covered my face, and screamed loud enough to wake up those sleeping on both the bottom and topmost floors of Aincrad... well not really, but that wasn't the point.

Slamming my head against the wall, I tried to get my thoughts in order after...that moment with Asuna. She asked me about what I was doing on the 40th floor when we were going around gathering the stuff for Liz, but I can barely remember the conversation since the scene from before kept replaying in my head endlessly, stealing over 90% of my brain's processing power.

The warmth of her being so close, the emotions that nearly caused my chest to burst, and the face of a goddess that got dangerously close to mine... Now I may not be the brightest person out there, but even I got the idea of what Asuna was trying to do... I only wanted to try cheering her up, and at least by the end the pain on her face had completely left, but now there was a more pressing issue.

I, who had never been in any sort of romantic relationship before, who probably didn't even know what 'love' actually meant after isolating myself for years from my own family, now had someone who seemed willing to stick by me, despite everything I've done... and I was too greedy to say no but too afraid to say yes.

I didn't want to be left alone, but I didn't want to face the fear of losing something, someone I cared about, just like when I abandoned Klein all that time ago. Just today I was reminded how fickle life can be in this world, how one wrong move could mean the end of everything. I was already terrified of losing her, in fact, I don't know what I would do if something happened to her... if we got any closer... if I selfishly accepted her warmth...