With that she storms out of my room, slamming the door shut behind her. I sigh and take a large gulp of water.

“Sorry about her.” Jackson says and I feel like I'm hallucinating. “She's always this bitchy. Most of us have gotten used to it but I guess it's a bit overwhelming, huh? You don't look so good, bro.”

“I'm fine.” I snap. “Well, you know, except for the fact that ever since my girlfriend came here to join me, we've been terrorised by this asshole who keeps telling us we need to break up. Then he finally stops and is replaced by an angry Asian girl, threatening me because I'm on scholarship and threatening to bully my girlfriend. Great first semester, really. Lovely. It's like we never left high school.”

“That does sound pretty awful if you put it like that.” Jackson sniggers, leaning against my desk. “For what it's worth, I'm sorry for my... choice of method. Guess that was a bit much but I was right. See what your relationship is already doing to you. And us for that matter.”

I shake my head slowly...

“If she didn't come here in the first place, none of this would have ever happened.” Jackson explains but he doesn't understand. He doesn't understand how much I need her. If she never came here in the first place, I would probably have gone straight back to high school Seth.

“It's not that simple.” I mutter.

“Well shit, nothing is, Seth but trust me, I'm not as much of an asshole as you think I am. I've just been here longer. You learn certain behaviour. You have to act a certain way to get through the day and get what you want. Girls will throw themselves at you any given opportunity and you get used to that, too. So you start treating them accordingly. When your girl first came here, I didn't really see why I would treat her differently.”

I glare at him and he holds his hands up and laughs. “Don't worry, my sister beat some sense into me.”

“Good because what you've just said makes me want to beat you senseless.” I mutter, rubbing my hands over my face as my headache blurs my vision.

“We already know how that's going to end.”

“Why are you still here?” I snap, wanting nothing more than to be alone.

“Oh right! Sorry, I couldn't tell you when Kim was still here. Amber just texted me. Arya didn't come back to her room until two hours ago and she looked awful. She's with Amber now and isn't doing so well so you might want to go check on her. Don't make me regret telling you. You need to get a handle on this, get Arya to step down and make sure this gets settled, alright?” Jackson sounds almost worried but I'm already gathering my phone and keys and flee the room, not caring about leaving Jackson behind.

I rush across campus until I finally reach Arya's room. When I get there, I realise that I don't know where Amber lives. I try knocking on Arya's door but of course there's no answer. Running my hands through my hair, frustrated, I start pacing up and down the hallway.

“Hey!” Someone whisper-yells at me and I turn to see Amber, poking her head out of one of the rooms. Jackson must have told her that I'm coming over. She waves me over and I take a deep breath before following her into the room.

“Quiet, she's finally asleep.” Amber whispers, pointing towards the bed.

Quietly, I walk over to her. She's rolled up in the fetal position, her breathing shallow. Her face is red and puffy, stained with tears. I turn to Amber and she shrugs.

“She told me what happened. I've never been a fan of the whole initiation thing but this year, they took it to another level. That was insane and I can't believe you just went along with it. If I were her, I would be furious as well.” She scolds me, still whispering.