𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐈. 𝐐𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐋𝐞𝐟𝐭 𝐔𝐧𝐚𝐧𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐝

Park Soomi

"I-I was there? But how is that possible? There must be some kind of mistake," I stuttered in disbelief.

"You were there, but you and your mom hid in a different room when the commotion started. Since you didn't see anything, she couldn't give too much valuable info as a witness, and you couldn't act as one for obvious reasons," Yoongi explained.

I felt dizzy, my head spinning at a hundred miles an hour, with everything I thought I knew ripped from me. Any sense of reality had shattered, and something in me wanted to fight this, struggling to believe Yoongi's words. But somewhere amid all the turbulence, a tiny shimmer of clarity peaked through.

If I was actually there, I could help Jimin figure out what happened to his family.

"What if I did see something? I have to figure out what I remember from that night."

"What?" Yoongi seemed taken aback. "No, you don't. Are you insane? Soomi, you were what, three or four? You're not going to remember anything. And even if you could, I would never ask you to do that. We'll find another way to figure out what happened to Jimin's mom and brother."

"Yoongi, if I was there, I need to try at least, don't I?" I insisted desperately. A part of me saw the insanity of it all, but I was just trying to find some good out of a distressing situation. "Come on. There must be some more details about what happened in the case files. Tell me. Maybe it will jog my memory."

"You're not making any sense," Yoongi spoke sternly, placing his hands firmly on my shoulder. "I'm not going to let you be more involved in this."

"Please, just help me. I have to do this for Jimin."

"I know this is all hard to take in. But you wouldn't want Jimin to do something like this, even if it were for you, right?"

I bit my lip, recognizing the truth in his argument. "No, but that's not up to you or Jimin to decide. Look, Yoongi, I'm tougher than you think. I can handle it."

Yoongi remained quiet, but he eventually let out an exasperated sigh, looking back at me with tired eyes. He knew I wouldn't back down anytime soon.

"You were on vacation with your parents. According to your dad, Jimin was still staying with Kim Minjun and Jangmi at the time. You were at a family vacation house, a cabin in the woods."

As I listened attentively, my ears perked up at the mention of a cabin in the woods. I racked my brain for any recollection of owning a family cabin, but my mind drew a blank. What did cross my mind, though, were the eerie nightmares. I vividly recalled the heightened sensation of fear as I ran through the forest in my dreams, that same fear consuming me now as my breathing grew shallow.

"Minjun testified that Jangmi had finally told him the truth about Jimin's identity. He was furious, and he had been drinking. He knew where your family was, and he stormed over to the cabin that night with Jangmi. After you and your mom ran off to hide, a fight broke out between Minjun and your dad."

My breathing continued to quicken, but a new image eclipsed my vision, incited by Yoongi's words. I was in a pitch-black room, with only one dim streak of light seeping out of the slightly cracked open door. Everything else was a bit muddled: incoherent screams in the distance overshadowing Yoongi's voice, the feeling of pressure over my lips as if someone's palm were lightly pressed against them. But one thing remained strikingly clear.

I was trembling in fear.

"...and when Jangmi tried to break them apart, Minjun accidentally stabbed her with a broken bottle." Yoongi's voice pierced through once more.