(57. Truce)

*Inspired by Chicago PD Season 6 Ep 18 This City 

I opened the door to the apartment Jay and I entered the safety of our home after a tiresome and long shit.  

"Here." Jay helped me take my jacket off and put it on the coat hanger for me. 

"I could fall asleep right here." You slumped your shoulder letting out a tired huff as you walked to the kitchen to get some water. 

Jay laughed. "We're doing what we love but at what cost?" He joked. 

"I need a spa day, like ASAP." You sighed as you poured yourself a glass of water, having a second cup ready to get filled for Jay right beside yours. 

Jay came up behind you wrapping an arm around your waist and the other one diagonal across your chest before pressing you to his chest. 

You hummed in contentment at the warm embrace. "How about I give you a massage myself in the meantime baby?" He placed soft kisses on your neck. 

Your head fell back on his shoulder giving him easier access. "Yeah, I think that could work..." You turned your head letting Jay's lips meet yours. 

You were ready to relax with your husband until you were rudely interrupted by your phone ringing. 

You pulled away reaching for your phone while Jay whined from the loss of contact. "Crime scene." you let him know as you showed him your phone. 

"We were just starting to unwind." Jay pouted. 

You gave his lips a quick kiss before you both headed out quickly. As much as you hated not being able to spend as much time as you wanted with each other you both knew that when duty called that became the top priority. 

_________

"Why are we even here if the gang unit is here?" You asked Jay, he had just updated Hank on what he knew from the scene while you were asked to get a witness statement. 

"Don't know-" He was interrupted when gunshots were heard around us.

 Jay pulled you close to him out of instinct taking a second to locate the direction of the bangs before you all took off running in its direction. You rounded a corner and your eyes immediately landed on a body on the floor. 

"Jay!" You shouted pointing at the man. You rushed to him while Jay kept an eye on your surroundings covering you in case the attacker was still around. 

You leaned down trying to look for a pulse, you almost stopped breathing trying to focus on any sensation on your fingers. Jay looked down at you and you shook your head. 

"We're too late he's already gone," Jay told Hank. 

Burgess began instructing the officers to tape the scene and create a perimeter. 

You sighed in defeat, a loss never getting easier. Jay extended his hand helping you up. "You okay?" He kissed the top of your head. 

"Yeah." You reassured him, it was time to work. 

_________

Hank had asked you and Jay to prepare the board back at the office. Jay gave you the info while you wrote. Just as you finished Hank had come back. 

"We've been asked to take the lead on this case by Price." he informed. 

Jay and you shared a knowing look. "How does Kelton feel about that?" You asked. 

Hank shrugged. "They've agreed to a truce so let's get to work, what d'you got." 

You stepped aside and let Jay explain what you'd gathered.