(23.1. Unfinished business)

*Inspired by Season 3 Ep 14 The song of Gregory William Yates

Jay and I, as usual, walked into the office in the morning and started setting up at our desks. I got up to go make myself a cup of coffee.

"D'you want some coffee?" I asked Jay stopping at his desk.

"Yeah, but wait I brought in a new mug." He told me opening his drawer revealing a new mug, he was proudly smirking.

I turned it to read the text.

I started laughing

I started laughing. "Really?"

"Will bought it for me, sort of like an I'm sorry gift," Jay told me.

"Hmm." I playfully rolled my eyes at him making my way to the coffee room. I was pouring ourselves coffee when Hank came out of his office.

"y/n, come." Hank waved me over.

"Yes, Sarge." I walked over to my desk giving Jay his coffee in the process.

Hank took a deep breath looking at me and Erin before speaking. "This morning...Gregory William Yates escaped from a New York prison and has been spotted here in Chicago."

I was speechless, my heart jumped to my throat almost stopping me from saying anything at all, I felt Jay's gaze on me.

"We have reason to believe he is coming after y/n, security cameras showed him roaming outside your apartment complex this morning after you left for work." Hank continued.

Suddenly the anger and emotions that I felt the day Nadia died were coming back to me and I was quickly growing overwhelmed. "Excuse me," I whispered walking out of the office and making my way to the locker room to wet my face.

I made my way to the sinks and after wetting my face a little I punched the counter in anger hurting my knuckles. I thought I'd never had to hear that name again in my life, how was this happening.

"y/n?" I heard Erin's voice behind me.

"Hey, sorry I just needed a second," I told her.

"You don't need to explain anything." She looked up at me and I could see in her eyes she was also flooded with emotions.

We didn't have to say anything, we knew how we felt and we both knew that right now we both had Nadia in our minds. She walked up to me and we hugged. My breath hitched thinking about what we were about to go through.

———————

Even though I argued Hank forbade me from going anywhere alone, not me nor Erin. He let me investigate the murders we thought were linked to him so far but I wasn't allowed out of sight from them.

Although I was angry about this rule deep down I knew Hank was just worried and so was everyone else.

We were at the precinct following up on different leads when Trudy ran upstairs. She turned to look at me concerned before calling Hank.

"Trudy, what's up?" Antonio asked her.

"A package just came in for y/n, no return address, no name just that it's for y/n and y/n only." Trudy had a worry-filled expression on her face.

"Alright, I want everyone out, Trudy make sure everyone's evacuated and Mouse call the bomb squad. Halstead, Ruzek, Atwater I want your eyes on y/n at all times." Hank began shouting out instructions.

I grabbed my coat and Kevin was waiting for me on the steps. Once I was going down Adam, Jay and Atwater formed a sort of protective triangle around me as we tried to calmly walk out of the precinct.

We had been standing outside for a while and everyone was waiting for the bomb squad to clear the building. We all jumped slightly when a phone started ringing.

*Erin's POV:

Everyone's attention was now drawn to me as I pulled out my phone. I answered the FaceTime call and sure enough, it was Yates at the other end of the screen.

Mouse immediately started trying to pinpoint his location while the others listened intently for any clues.

"Did she receive my package, Erin?" He had that hideous smile on.

"What do you want Yates?" I asked him trying to remain calm.

"Just wanted to let you know you should open the package I sent..." he laughed. "If you want to find her." He smiled once again before the call ended.

My eyes snapped up immediately scanning all of my surroundings for y/n. "WHERE THE HELL IS Y/L/N?" I yelled to all the officers around and everyone began searching.

I saw as immediate panic filled the team's eyes. "Didn't I tell you to not lose sight of her!" Hank angrily asked the three guys who were already wracked with guilt, especially Jay.

"I want all patrol cars out now looking for detective y/l/n!" Trudy yelled at the officers gathered outside.

The bomb squad walked out at the same time letting us know we were all clear to head back inside. "Mouse I want you upstairs now, get me eyes on y/n." Hank instructed Mouse and he ran back inside to do as told.

I examined the background of the facetime call carefully, I knew that if he came and took y/n this had to be a recorded video but I knew that place. He was at my house.

"Hank this is my house!" I turned and showed the phone to Hank. "He could still be there or he might have left a clue," I told Hank.

"You and Atwater." He told us and we headed straight to a car to find her.

Jay's POV:

I picked up the package that had been delivered to y/n, I opened it alerting everyone that I was doing so, and found a note inside along with a bottle of nail polish.

'I'm taking you home, we have some unfinished business. I know you miss Nadia, but don't worry you'll be with her soon enough.' 

Read the note inside the package. I didn't know it was possible but I felt my worry increase significantly. I had to find her.