𝟎𝟎𝟗

Dead in the Water.

CHAPTER NINE , DEAD IN THE WATER

━━━━━━━━━━

"Hey, Lucas. You remember me?"

Dean crouches in front of the kid. Athena stands with Sam and Andrea in the doorway. Dean looks through Lucas' drawings.

"Hey, you know, I, uh...I wanted to thank you for that last drawing...but the thing is I need your help again." Dean says.

Lucas continues to draw, Dean pulls the piece of construction paper out of his pocket and unfolds it. He gently sets it in front of Lucas.

"How did you know to draw this?" Dean asks. "Did you know something was gonna happen?"

Lucas stays quiet.

"Maybe you could nod yes or no for me," Dean suggests. He inhales a soft breath. "You're scared. It's okay. I understand."

"See, when I was your age, I saw something real bad happen to my mom, and I was scared, too," Dean explains.

Athena's chest tightens, hearing the pain in Dean's voice. Her eyes shift to Sam and she knew he felt the same way she did.

"I didn't feel like talking, just like you, but, see, my mom—I know she wanted me to be brave," Dean explains. "I think about that every day. And I do my best to be brave."

"And maybe your dad wants you to be brave, too."

Lucas stops drawing, dropping the crayon. He lifts his head, looking at Dean. Lucas shuffles through the pile of his drawings and hands one to Dean.

Dean accepts the drawing, "Thanks, Lucas."

"Andrea said the kid never drew like that till his dad died," Dean says, driving.

"There are cases going through a traumatic experience could make certain people more sensitive to premonitions, psychic tendencies," Athena explains from the backseat, solving the Rubik's cube.

"Whatever's out there. What if Luca is tapping into it somehow?" Dean suggests. "It's only a matter of time before somebody else frowns, so if you got a better lead, please."

Sam and Athena look at each other. "All right. We got another house to find."

"Yeah, only problem is. There's about a thousand yellow two-stories in this county alone." Dean exhales.

Athena looks over Sam's shoulder.

"See this church?" Sam points at it.

Athena raises her brows, "I bet there's less than a thousand of those around here."