Chapter 17 - Mingling (Edited)

Depuis le début

"Stephany's house. She's a charming woman. Her mate was lost during a rogue attack several years ago. Most mates lose themselves when their other half dies but she stayed strong and took in the children who'd lost their parents to rogues or hunters." Alec started forward, glancing back at her quickly to make sure she stayed with him. The corners of his mouth ticked with affection for the woman he spoke about, Marie could not help but wonder if there was something between the two. "She also happens to make a mean omelet and I'm starving."

Their small journey was made in silence, allowing her to study her guard and the pack's land. He walked about like Greyson, long sleeve shirt and slacks. Before she had thought them crazy. Now that she knew their body temperatures were ridiculously high, she understood it. Even if it still looked a little odd. And were any of them unattractive? She had yet to meet an average looking male here. Even Alec, with her slight dislike of him, had an appeal that would make the women in the city swoon. Didn't help that he resembled Brad Pitt. When he looked back at her again, catching her appraisal, she forced her attention to their surroundings. His soft chuckle did not go unnoticed.

The community was larger than she had originally thought. Some of the homes were further out to give more privacy. She assumed it was because of their amazing hearing, they probably didn't want to hear each other at night. When Greyson had first told her, trying to express how important it was that she be careful with what she said, she had freaked out. Could they hear them? Did they already know what she was? It took a little while for him to calm her down. Promising that they hadn't. The Alpha's home was sound proof. There was sensitive pack information that just didn't need to get out.

"We're here."

Alec's voice pulled her attention back to him and the house they stopped in front of. It was only slightly smaller than Greyson's and he had the largest one. It was obvious that several additions had been done. Some of the wood didn't match the main unit. She could see where the owner made attempts in making it less obvious with the taller bushes where the walls met. Flower boxes sat empty beneath each window. She imagined they would look beautiful during the spring and summer months. Several clotheslines peeked from the side of the house, void of clothes during the winter months.

He had mentioned the orphaned children of the pack before, surely there were not that many? Even as she asked herself that, a group of them rounded the back of the house, older boys, wrestling. They had not changed yet, judging by their thinner frames. The fight was by no means gentle or playful. Both of the boys sported bloody noses and split lips. One of them had a cut on his forehead that gushed a stream of crimson. The sight of it made her blanch.

She opened her mouth, ready to ask him to break them up when the front door wrenched open and a tiny woman with a mass of red curls bounded down the steps. "Enough!" Her head barely reached the boys shoulders yet she managed to hook the necks of their shirts and pull them apart with ease. Both of them continued to struggle but instantly stilled when she growled at them. The sound even caused the hairs on the back of her neck to stand up. Stephany, she presumed.

"Get back inside. Charlie – you get the girls bathrooms. Eddy – you get the boys. Not a word! Go!" Marie watched in admiration as both boys bowed their heads, muttered a yes ma'am and trumped up the steps, disappearing into the house.

Her eyes watched the transformation in Stephany from a scornful mother to a warm and inviting woman. She reached up and smoothed down the wayward curls while a friendly smile spread across her beautiful face. Marie could definitely see why Alec seemed to hold affection for her. Her almost siren-like voice was definitely a plus and drew her in as the woman approached.

"You must be Marie. I'm so happy to finally meet you."

Instead of the offered hand for a shake that she expected, Marie was drawn into the woman's strong hold for a firm hug. There was something about this woman that made you want to melt against her contently. She had the motherly touch all women wanted. It made Marie wonder if she had any children of her own.