14. THIS IS IT, WHERE I BELONG.

Start from the beginning

We greet one another and I sit down on one of the wooden benches listening to the members already singing, more members pouring in and filling the empty spaces, finding their own place to sit or stand. Each note of the songs the members rehearsing are singing carry with it a depth of emotion that echoes through the space, inviting all who are listening to be a part of the collective experience. The lyrics, filled with meaning and purpose resonate deep within our souls evoking a sense of unity and belonging. We're diverse individuals here, representing various ages, backgrounds and walks of life, all drawn together by the common desire to connect, share and be heard.

"You should go and sing." One of the members sitting right next to me voices out.

"I don't think that's a good idea." I quickly decline, my palms growing sweaty and my throat tightening at the thought.

"Just take a deep breath and zone out everyone. Make it only about you and the song." She smiles warmly at me, more members also encouraging me to go and sing. They believe in me even more than I believe in myself.

"Mia we believe in you. Just do it, you're going to be great. Trust me." Jake, the president of the club assures me this time. Their encouraging words and warm smiles are giving me a glimmer of hope and a boost of confidence I haven't felt before.

Finally mustering the courage to stand up, I walk towards the stage, the sound of my own heartbeat filling my ears. My palms grow sweaty as the bright lights come to life, the spotlight shining down on me. Butterflies are now bouncing off the walls in my stomach, my knees growing weaker as I watch the members who are now the audience. I can already feel the weight of their expectations on my shoulders and I know I can't let them down. This is my moment to shine, to step out of my comfort zone and prove to myself that I can do it.

I pick one of the microphones in the pile, informing the band of the song I want to sing. And so I close my eyes, shutting out the world around me and focusing sorely on the song I'm about to sing. Take a deep breath and believe in yourself.

I can do this.

"I can do this." I whisper to myself over and over again as the band starts playing. Standing at the edge of the stage, the vibrant lights cast their colourful glow on me. The audience's eager murmurs blend into a low hum, creating an electric atmosphere that pulses through my veins. I can feel my heart pounding in my chest, the rhythm matching the beat of the music that's resonating through the amplifiers. As the band strikes the first chord, the sound echoes through the room, engulfing me in a wall of sound that resonates deep within my core. The melody weaves its way through the air, intertwining with the audience's anticipation. The pulsating rhythm wraps around me like an invisible embrace, urging me forward.

You can do this.

You promised the world and I fell for it
I put you first and you adored it
Set fires to my forest
And you let it burn
Sang off-key in my chorus
'Cause it wasn't yours

As I begin to sing, my voice intertwines with the beats, each carrying the weight of my emotions. The lyrics spill forth, a reflection of my deepest thoughts and desires. Each note rings true, every phrase delivered with conviction. I pour my heart and soul into each word, embracing vulnerability and allowing the song to carry me forward. Once again a familiar yet unfamiliar feeling washes over my body and heart deep down to my soul because of singing after a long time, everything harmonious. The first time I sang after so many years was at the music talent show because of Lucas. If he didn't point at me that night, I wouldn't have done it. Now here I am, doing it again.

As the notes escape my lips and fill the space around me, I feel liberated, as if the chains that bound my voice have finally been broken. Each word, every inflection, resonates with a depth that only comes from the heart. The echoes of my voice bounces off the walls, intertwining with the beats of the band. In this moment, it's only me and the music, as if time itself has frozen to listen.