Chapter 14: Bittersweet

Start from the beginning

"Don't worry, we know about them, too." He gesticulated his hand. "Those doppelganger officers laid it out for us, of course," Uncle replied with a whisper to us before turning back to face the windshield with a normal tone. "The authorities are on their way now. The island will be surrounded within the next few days, so your friends will be back home in no time," Uncle Isaac finished.

A terrible crash of thunder sounded somewhere nearby. There was a blinding flash that followed. Everyone went silent as it began to pour rain, listening for any more thunder but hearing nothing. We relaxed, although I noticed the Captain took Snowy in his lap to hold him, which I guess meant he was scared.

"You must be joking..." Uncle remarked. "How long till we reach the mainland?" he asked Kadron.

"Shouldn't be too long... hopefully-"

There was some sort of turbulence issue, so the helicopter trembled for a moment before steadying again.

"What was that??" I asked.

"A storm," answered Kadron, his hair strands falling over his eyes a little in the mirror. "We'll make it through, assuredly"

"I must ask, doll," my uncle spoke. "Why is it you suddenly found yourself in such a predicament, anyway?"

"I think it's something about... me being a descendent of a guy named... Tiberius or something...?"

Uncle Isaac stiffened. He glanced at our pilot as if I had said something wrong. I tilted my head in confusion when he turned to face me, having an emotion I couldn't get.

"You mean... they wanted you for the Lion's Word of Honor?" he asked.

I blinked.

"The what?"

"The inheritance! The object of power hidden after the raid in 1890? That's what this is about?!" he pressed.

"So... you know about the story!" Tintin responded.

Uncle Isaac turned back around with a light scoff.

"I know of it, I suppose." He twirled one end of his mustache restlessly. "But such a trip would mean suicide!! And not just because of power-hungry jesters like the ones that have been bothering you this past week... there's more to it than that!" He sighed in thought, then turned to look at me one more time with a crucial gander. "However, doll, it isn't fair I leave you in the dark. What I'm about to tell you all is very important, so listen carefully!"

My heart skipped a beat. I nodded enthusiastically, desperate to know what was going on. All three of us in the back slowly leaned closer to listen to what he had to say.

"(Y/n) (L/n), you are-"

KaAaBoOoOoM

I cringed at the ear-busting thunder that roared overhead, covering my ears like the others out of instinct. It was insanely louder than the first roar, and the flash lightened up the entire sky for at least five solid seconds. Kadron abruptly lost control of the helicopter, and the chopper trembled under pressure, but he managed to overrule the power of the weather taking over the flight. By this time, the sky was so clouded I worried Kadron couldn't see where he was going.

"Goodness gracious..." I remarked with a scoff. "I guess it can't get any worse-"

KABAM!

Another clap and flash; then the helicopter started shaking violently. A strange roaring outside the helicopter blared in our ears, almost like a train or a plane rushing by. I braced my seat. It eventually steadied again, and the weird sound subsided. And although I loosened my grip, I didn't let go.
'You'll be fine. Calm down, for goodness sake, 'cuz this worrying won't make the helicopter reach home any faster!!!'