11

Dinner was perhaps a little bit awkward. Only a little. Really.

Between Yugyeom staring down everyone on the table, Jimin and Taehyung playing a very obvious game of footsies under the table and Namjoon talking about real world problems with fancy words no one understands...yeah dinner wasn't going great. It was like Jungkook had gone straight through the looking glass.

"Joonie nobody knows what the fuck a podothalmian is," Yoongi remarks, eyes rolling into the back of his head. He leans back in his chair, clearly as uncomfortable sitting at this table as everyone else is. Well, except for Namjoon who is as clueless as a lost puppy and Jimin and Taehyung who live in a world completely on their own.

"I do," Jungkook pipes up, fork playing around with the meal in front of him.

Yoongi raises his eyebrow.

"Why on earth do you know what that is?"

Well, there's a very simple explanation for that. All those lunchtimes he spent with Namjoon a few years ago often ended up with either him drawling on and on about vampires or Namjoon educating him on the world of sea creatures. Clearly, the both of them have their own issues to work through.

"Namjoon likes sea creatures," Jungkook tells him, as if that's enough of a reason. He may have set aside his usual cringe-worthy vampire fanfic to read up on crabs just to impress the older one or two times. "I used to hear about them every lunch time."

"I swear I hear about sea creatures every other second and couldn't tell you the difference between a fish and a crab," Jin laughs, taking a sip from his water.

At least he seems to be enjoying himself...

"Well there are many telling differences - for example the basic-"

"Namjoon please," Yoongi says, cutting him off.

Yoongi cares not for all this talk of fish and crabs and whatnot.

"How about we talk about something everyone can pitch in about?" Jin suggests, and he doesn't even have to say anything for Jungkook to know he means Yugyeom.

Jungkook sighs softly, drinking from his glass of water. No chance. No matter how many times Jin changed the topic Yugyeom still didn't 'pitch in' all evening.

And who can blame him?

Jungkook keeps ditching him for other friends and now all of a sudden he has to tag along to? It's ridiculous. Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

When it was time for them to go (finally), Jungkook honestly couldn't be happier. Yugyeom had been a nightmare all night, he barely said a word, wouldn't stop glaring at everyone and made a snide comment about Jungkook not eating enough.

Utter betrayal, truly. Might as well have just stabbed him in the back with the bread knife sitting on the table.

So now that they've gotten their coats on - and Jin has tied Jungkook's scarf for him - Jungkook says his goodbyes, gives everyone a hug, somehow manages to get Yugyeom to say thank you and finally leaves. A miracle.

The walk to the bus stop isn't far, and Jin had kindly offered to drive them home if need be but in all honesty...Jungkook feels like he needs to spend the rest of the night alone with Yugyeom. And sadly that means no nice warm car with heated seats.

Walking down the path in silence, Jungkook interlaces their hands.

He sighs softly, "Gyeomie..."

Yugyeom doesn't dignify him with a response. In fact, Yugyeom doesn't even look at him, doesn't acknowledge him, doesn't do anything. But, despite that he doesn't shake Jungkook's hand away. He should have expected this much really, Jungkook knows that Yugyom hasn't had the best night at the Kim Household.