"Where does he work?" Aerilyn was curious.

"He's actually an influential Lord who was visiting from a village nearby, Lord Canera" Luanna spoke for the girl who couldn't bring herself to say it.

"Maybe I'll get a mate next, seeing as everyone else has one" Eli muttered too loudly.

Solenne wanted to crush his head by this point.

"Actually, her majesty and Nilsa don't have one either and well I'm not a vampire so I don't get to have one" Aerilyn mumbled the last part to herself.

They all looked at her in disbelief with their mouths dropped.

Aerilyn felt the pain radiating off the Queen but couldn't figure out why.

"Oh you humans do make me laugh" Luanna giggled.

"It would be best to keep Evelyn and her mate a secret for now, it will not go down well in either of our communities" Solenne indicated.

Aerilyn had more questions. "And you accept it even in your position?" she asked Solenne.

Solenne hummed softly, "I would be a hypocrite if I did not accept it, this is something that has gone on since the beginning of our kind, you cannot fight the mate bond anymore than you could fight death" what she meant was that there was no escaping it, Aerilyn nodded curiously, urging Solenne to carry on.

"Then why isn't it accepted?" Aerilyn asked. Solenne smiled sadly, "unfortunately, our cultures have clouded our thinking and our wars have blinded us with hatred" there was just silence after that, the words cut deeply for all of them.

After they had finished eating they all went to another room where they could sit and talk, Luanna was trying to coax Eli out of his shell, whilst Solenne couldn't take her eyes off of Aerilyn, the bond was only becoming stronger.

Aerilyn could feel the Queen's gaze on her but brushed it off as her blood.

"Honestly I'm not sure how much longer I can keep this a secret, they are killing me here" Ev whispered to Eli and Luanna.

"I just cannot wrap my head around it" Eli shook his head. As children they had grown up with their parents, but one night they were found and taken away, the only reason the two siblings stayed alive was because their parents hid them some how.

"Would you like me to explain?" Luanna asked.

Solenne and Aerilyn were looking at each other, not listening to the conversation. "Did you need more blood?" Aerilyn asked.

Solenne was sat on the same sofa next to her.

"No" the Queen said curtly.

"Then why are you staring at me" Aerilyn was self conscious.

"Oh pet, you are far more breathtaking than you know" Solenne lifted a hand up to push a stray hair behind her cheek, causing Aerilyn to blush.

Eli nodded at Luanna, but they were careful to speak quietly, he had to try and understand what was happening to his sister. "The mate bond only happens once, once we find them and accept them, we feel everything they feel. It's been this way since the beginning, to lose our mate would be to consume us, we would die most likely. It is the strongest and most important bond for vampires, we would do anything for them" Luanna carried on explaining to Eli.