• A R M A Y A •

Kaheta main jaau tumko

- - ⚜️ - -

She turned around, facing the smartphone's screen. The unstitched single piece of cloth, was wrapped around her waist, with it's one end laying carelessly on the floor. An online video was being played in the background - 'how to drape a saree'. The laptop rested on the bed, between the covers. With mascara lashes, Inaya looked up at the screen and saw her two dumbos stifling their laughs. 

" Mind sharing the joke with me?" She glared at the phone's sceeen. 

" - You forgot something- " Heer said.

" - tune pleates ko tuck in kiya thha?- " Aarushi raised her brow.

The two women, pointed their index fingers downwards. Inaya followed their gaze and smacked her forehead. The pleated pleats of her banarasi saree fell dramatically, her efforts going in vain with the fall. The unfolding of large swaths of the stunning fabric was followed by a burst of laughter, that could be heared from the other end of the call.

" You know what? Rehne do, kisi kaam ke nahi ho tum log."  She shook her head in dismay. Grabbing the eight meters of cloth, Inaya started making the pleats again. She looked up at the screen inbetween, listening to the instructions. Heer repeated the steps for the fourth time, and Inaya followed the suit.

" Yaar, stop that video in the background. It's creating too much distraction." Aarushi said. Inaya saw her sitting on the couch, a small pup sleeping on her lap. 

" Now, you never created any tutorial, toh I'll have to look for other influencers' ki videos na." Inaya stated the obvious. She put one end of the fabric between her teeth and started folding the rest in a zig-zag manner, using her fingers. 

" Inu, why don't you wear any other traditional dress? You already look exhausted, wahan jaa ke kya karegi? " Heer asked. She was wearing a woolen cap and muffler around her neck, still her red nose and cheeks gave away her winter story. 

Inaya looked down at the yellow coloured fabric. Why did she chose to wear a saree? Because the day was special, the occasion she was preparing for was special. And she wanted to look special, before appearing in front of his family. And nothing could be more special than wearing her mother's saree, that Inaya grew up admiring.

The sheer enormity of colors, fabrics, textures, and drapes her mother's beautiful attire lended itself, was something Inaya always awed at. Priya Malhotra, her mother's wardrobe had always been full of the unstitched single piece of cloth. From simple linen to cotton and gossamer, silks, chiffons, georgette, organza... the list went on. 

It had been a difficult task for Inaya to pick out only one saree of her mother, among the many. Should she pick the first one which her mother wore on her high school graduation party? Or the simple traditional cotton Saree she wore while getting her degree in college? Or the stunning and radiant Red-colored saree, which she had got as her wedding gift? The treasure trove of memories had continued throughout her life cycle. Finally she picked the one, Priya Malhotra wore during the blessing ceremony of her newborn baby. Inaya herself. 

With a smile, so heart melting, that it almost looked as if she was crying, Inaya looked up at the phone's screen. Instantly she received a warming smile from Heer, and a knowing grin from Aarushi. 

" Oh bhai! Yeh kya dekh liya? " She rolled her eyes hearing the same old annoying voice. From behind Heer, appeared a man in blue hoodie.

Darshan whistled, " Armaan's gonna be whipped cream bro... "